1Password offering to save already-existing entries

Options

Comments

• tomtsui
    tomtsui
    Community Member
    Options

Ok. But as said earlier, it is quite annoying.
    For example, after I logged in to my email web page, the mini pops up.
    The email web page is already in my vault. And as said, it is not during the login stage but after the login.
    When I was using the standalone version with the app extension, it wouldn't pop up this way.

• Hello @tomtsui,

Can you please let me know if the popup opens when the 1Password is locked? If the desktop app isn't open, it will prompt you to unlock the app even when the username and password are the same. If you want, you can try these steps to prevent 1Password from asking you to unlock.

Open the 1Password app => 1Password => Settings => Browsers => Autosave => make sure that you turn on the “Detect new usernames and passwords and offer to save them “ Option.

• tomtsui
    tomtsui
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, yes, it popups when 1Password is locked and I have already set the option you suggested.
    Maybe I should make it as an exception in the Autosave field. But still, might worth a check.
    Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tomtsui:

If it pops up when 1Password is locked, then it is indeed expected behavior. If you add an exception to the Autosave field, it will then ignore that website even when 1Password is unlocked.

• tomtsui
    tomtsui
    Community Member
    Options

But the website is already logged in. Doesn't it a bug or something 1Password pops up for it ?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Just to make sure we follow, you disabled the "Detect new usernames and passwords and offer to save them" in the app's settings, but it still pops up and asking you to unlock when you log into a website?

What happens if you add that website's domain to the exclusion list in the app's preferences?

• tomtsui
    tomtsui
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I have the option "Detect new usernames and passwords and offer to save them" ENABLED
    I have captured a short video showing what's going on. Here's the dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lxc6kzqvb9836br/1Password.MOV?dl=0
    1Password pops up after I logged in.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the video @somtsui, feel free to remove it as it is a public forum.

When you have that feature ENABLED, 1Password will want you to unlock it so it could CHECK if the credentials for this website are identical to the ones you have stored. If they are different, 1Password will suggest you save/update it in 1Password.

So what we're asking you to do is to DISABLE this feature OR add that website's URL to the exclusion list in the app's preferences so that 1Password will not try to detect new usernames/passwords there.

• tomtsui
    tomtsui
    Community Member
    edited April 2021
    Options

Ok, noted.

Just got confused since in the standalone version I was using, the browser extension wouldn't pop up to check if the credential for the website is idential or not. It only popped up when a website or login is new.
    That makes much sense than the current checking process by the combination of web extension and the 1Password mini.

So, after I DISABLE the feature, will 1Password be able to detect new logins and prompt me to save them ? If not, no hard feeling, I think it is not logical and it should be changed.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2021
    Options

That's correct @tomtsui .

The new standalone extension does not check if a login already exists so it does not pop up. That feature is only available in the Classic extension and the desktop app, but in order for that feature to work, 1Password must be unlocked so it could compare your existing login to the one entered on the website. If 1Password is locked, it cannot read your username/password and can't compare them because they are encrypted, so it will ask you to unlock first.

If you DISABLE that feature in the desktop app, 1Password will no longer suggests saving new logins when you log into a website. You'll need to manually save logins like so: https://support.1password.com/cs/save-login-manually/

• tomtsui
    tomtsui
    Community Member
    Options

Your explanation makes sense too. Thanks
    Just one more question, the popups only appear on some websites, such as the email webpage in my video. Not all.
    Is it normal ?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

1Password will show up in places it thinks it can autofill.

If the page has no login form (or has one that is badly built), 1Password may not show up. However, such cases are the exception and not the rule. :)

• tomtsui
    tomtsui
    Community Member
    Options

Ok. That's it for now. Thanks very much.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're most welcome :+1:

This discussion has been closed.