Why is iCloud sync not working?

Options
rcornish
rcornish
Community Member
edited April 2021 in iOS

iCloud sync between my devices (2 macs, iPhone, and iPad) is horrible. My devices often go days without syncing on their own. Why has this become a manual chore?

I’m using the latest versions for Mac OS 10.15.7 and iOS 14.4.2

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rcornish!

There are several things that could go wrong with iCloud, but it's difficult to say since we don't have visibility into it. However, we have collected some suggestions over time, can you please give them a try and see if they help?

If you’re having trouble syncing with iCloud

• rcornish
    rcornish
    Community Member
    Options

Hi ag_ana.....
    Thanks for your reply. Short of resetting my data in iCloud, I've already done everything suggested in your link. To reiterate: all my devices will sync with iCloud, they just won't do it (reliably) on their own. I would think if a device is used regularly, it should resync itself at least daily. My iOS devices sometimes go weeks without syncing on their own and my Macs often don't sync for days unless I quit and restart the app. It seems like 1P ought to sync itself more often than that… at least that's what I've been led to believe by your colleagues on this forum.

Any other suggestions?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2021
    Options

@rcornish:

1Password should sync automatically after every change to any item, and also after certain events (such as unlocking 1Password and switching vaults), so it has multiple chances to sync. From what you are saying, it sounds like the issue is with iCloud rather than with 1Password. Unfortunately, as the article says at the beginning, there is just so much we can do with third party sync methods:

iCloud is complex and depends on many factors, including your network environment and software configuration. This article is a collection of common solutions for syncing problems.

We’re unable to troubleshoot issues with iCloud beyond the scope of this article. If you’ve tried everything in the article and are still unable to sync, a 1Password membership is a more reliable sync method.

So if you would still like to use iCloud, the suggestion would be to also try resetting the data, and see if that helps. Failing that, switching to a more reliable sync method would be our recommendation.

This discussion has been closed.