1Password7 consistently incurring excessive CPU usage

Options
rsteilberg
rsteilberg
Community Member

I've been using 1Password7 on my Macs for about a year now, and I'm having an issue where it is repeatedly racking up about 99% CPU usage. I notice when it does this because my fans spin up and my Mac gets hot when I wouldn't expect it to (i.e. not running a performance-heavy application like Chrome with many tabs or a code IDE or something). All I can do is kill the process from Activity Monitor which immediately brings CPU usage down and stops the fans. However, within another couple hours, 1Password7 will spin back up to 99% again. Not sure how to resolve this but it sure is annoying.

1Password Version: 7.8.1
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: macOS 11.2.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2021
    Options

@rsteilberg

Mind if I ask you a rather pointed question? Are you using Antivirus software? We have had three reports, with yours being the fourth of this behavior, and the culprit looks to involve the user's antivirus software. If that's the case, can you let me know the software you're using? The developers are looking into the issue and trying to determine what is occurring.

If you are using antivirus software and it has an allowed list or bypass list, can you try adding 1Password to it?

ref: dev/apple/issues#5307

• rsteilberg
    rsteilberg
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I am using Sophos Endpoint, as required on this machine by my company's IT group. I am using both my personal 1Password vault in addition to a "shared" 1Password vault that my company uses. Unfortunately, I am not able to access an allowed/bypass list setting due to lack of privileges, but I can reach out to our IT team to see if this is possible and add if so.

• @rsteilberg

Please also have them try the following steps.

Configuring Sophos

This discussion has been closed.