Different OTP's?

Options
ericcovino1
ericcovino1
Community Member

I am on latest versions of 1password on iOS and Mac and latest OS's for Mac/iOS

Is it common to have different one time passwords in the Mac and iOS version?

Example, was trying to log into Basecamp but it would not accept the OTP from the Mac login but it did from the iOS one.

Workflow was:

Go to basecamp's website
Use 1password fill feature on Safari/Mac
Did not accept OTP
Tried manually inputting username/password/OTP on Mac in Safari, accepted UN and PW but not OTP
Tried once again Safari/Mac with UN and PW then opened 1P on iOS and used that OTP and it worked, though I noticed it was a different OTP (in real time) as the Mac 1password OTP for this login
I checked out a gmail account too and same thing, OTP different in real time for same login.

Is this common? Unsure if it could be, why wouldn't the OTP on the Mac version of 1p work but the iOS one did...

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @ericcovino1

The principal reason a 2FA code fail is that your computer's time is slightly off. 2FA codes are generated by your device using the current time, and they change about every thirty seconds. If your computer clock drifts/differs from the server, a wrong code will be generated. Another way to put it is with the clocks on your computer, and the server differs, and a mismatch in the 2FA codes occurs, resulting in an inability to log in.

I would check and make sure the time is set correctly on your device. Does it automatically update itself? If not, try enabling automatic updating. I like to use https://time.is to check my device time. Nowadays, most all devices set their time automatically. However, hiccups still happen. I have had to toggle my "Set time automatically" settings from On > Off > On.

Also, giving your device a restart may help alleviate any transient issues. The last few users that I helped with this reported that a restart solved their issue.

This discussion has been closed.