chrome keeps asking for master password

hi. Chrome browser keeps asking for master password. using the extension. also have one password installed as a stand alone program. i have auto lock in the extension turned off. is there a way of using a pin or something more simple than having to type out the master password every time?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.24.0
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:chrome keeps asking for master password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @another_username!

You can extend the auto lock times in your 1Password extension if you prefer:

• another_username
    another_username
    Community Member

I’ve tried that as well as turning auto lock completely off. Still asks for a master password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@another_username:

When does it ask for the Master Password exactly? After the lockout time is over? Or when you quit and reopen the browser?

• another_username
    another_username
    Community Member

Every time I close Chrome and reopen it asks. Just tried it. Unlock 1Password close Chrome and reopen to see 1Password locked again.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @another_username ,

When you close Chrome it kills off the 1Password extension so it locks up immediately, much like the 1Password desktop app locks up when you restart/shutdown the browser.

We're currently working on a feature to integrate 1Password in the browser with the desktop app, which will allow it to remain unlocked for as long as the desktop app is unlocked (even if you close the browser), so keep your apps up to date and stay tuned :)

For now, if this really disrupts your workflow (if you close the browser and re-open it constantly), you can install 1Password Classic instead, which will remain unlocked with the desktop app regardless of the browser's state: https://support.1password.com/cs/1password-classic-extension/

• another_username
    another_username
    Community Member

That seems to be working. Seems more like a link to the desktop app as apposed to a full browser extension. Are there any disadvantages to using this? Should I reinstall the extension when it works better ie unlock with a pin or something rather than having to type out the full master password every time. Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@another_username:

The new extension has a better "brain", so it's capable of suggesting passwords that match the requirements of the website you are on, for example. Our developers are working on bringing the desktop app integration back to the new extension too, so we would recommend reinstalling the new one at some point in the future.

This discussion has been closed.