Extracting encrypted Master Password

johntearer
johntearer
Community Member

Hi All,

I've lost record of my Master Password and have no authenticated devices that are unlocked at the moment. My only device that has 1password installed on it is an iPhone 8.

I have some idea of what my password might be and would like to use automated tools to brute force my password (i.e. Hashcat). Is it possible to somehow extract my encrypted Master Password from my iPhone 8 so that I would be able to run a long list of optional passwords? I do not have any iCloud sync or any backups available.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @johntearer!

Is it possible to somehow extract my encrypted Master Password from my iPhone 8 so that I would be able to run a long list of optional passwords?

For security reasons, I don't believe it's possible to extract this, because the Master Password is not stored. Only you know it, and that's why you need to enter it when you need to unlock the 1Password app.

This means that it is not possible to recover it unless you are a member of a Families or Business accounts. If you have an Individual account or a standalone license, I recommend reading this article to try and recover your Master Password:

If you forgot your Master Password or you can’t unlock 1Password

If, on the other hand, you are part of a Families or Business account, you can ask another Admin to recover your account for you:

Recover accounts for family or team members

If you still cannot recover your Master Password, we can certainly delete your account so you can create a new one with a new Master Password you know.

• johntearer
    johntearer
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana! thanks for replying.

From what I've been reading online, there is an encrypted file containing a backup of the items in my 1Password vault which is encrypted with my Master Password. I've seen manuals online on how to reach these files in my PC, but cannot find anything regarding iOS. For example: https://support.1password.com/backups/

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@johntearer:

From what I've been reading online, there is an encrypted file containing a backup of the items in my 1Password vault which is encrypted with my Master Password.

A copy of your data must be encrypted on your device, that's for sure. But this backup does not include your Master Password, or it would defeat the point of encryption.

If all you want to do save a backup of your data from your iOS device, you can find the instructions a bit further down in the page you linked to. Here is a direct link for you.

• johntearer
    johntearer
    Community Member

Sorry, I meant that the backup includes all items and is encrypted with the Master Password. If I'm not mistaken, to create a backup according to the instructions you provided, I will have to first insert my Master Password, is that correct? Is it possible to somehow extract the encrypted file without providing the Master Password, so that I will be able to use a password cracking software to try and find the correct password I used as my Master Password?

Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@johntearer:

The instructions don't mention the Master Password from what I can see, you should be able to just drag the backup to your Mac after you have connected your iOS device to your Mac. Have you been prompted for your Master Password during the process? If so, at which step?

• johntearer
    johntearer
    Community Member

Under "Create a backup" it says: "Open and unlock 1Password on your iOS device, then tap Settings > Advanced > Create Backup."

When I open 1Password on my iPhone I'm prompted to input my Master Password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@johntearer:

Ah I see what you mean, thank you! I assumed that you already had a backup on your iOS device, and you just needed to transfer it via USB with those instructions. If you don't have a backup, then you need to create one indeed, but you need to do it from inside the 1Password app in that case :(

This discussion has been closed.