Extra copies of 1Password found

r8ders2k
r8ders2k
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I've been getting this a lot recently and wondering if it's something with the last release...? As you'd think that any other copies on a Time Machine backup or another boot drive/partition wouldn't be an issue.

1Password Version: 7.4.4.BETA-0
Extension Version: 7.4.4.BETA-0
OS Version: macOS 10.15.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member

I expect that the 1Password installer checks for multiple instances of 1Password from an abundance of caution. It helps prevent upgrading the 'wrong' copy of the application, where 'wrong' is other than the currently in-use copy. It is a useful check which warns the user of possible awkward consequences such as a mixture of old and new versions parts trying to work together and failing.

• We recommend that users exclude the 1Password application from all backups. Time Machine, Super Duper, Carbon Copy Cloner etc.. If you ever need a previous copy you can always download one from our servers.

I think @xz4gb8 laid out some great thoughts behind the behavior.

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member

Alternative, in many cases have the target volume(s) automatically mount and dismount before and after the backup. This is especially useful for offsite backup drives that must be handled for swap as part of the backup process.

This provides 'instant' recover from a bootable clone backup for business continuity. The problem with encouraging incomplete system volume backup because of this type of warning dialog (correctable easily with a dismount command) is that good Internet access is not always present when disasters occur.

Also, 1Password is not the only application to be concerned with duplicates. Many applications and even system boot process produce indeterminate results in the presence of duplicates. Booting from the backup clone can be hazardous to your data if you don't notice it -- Time Machine can get 'odd'. This is why I conclude that dismounting a backup volume is more effective than special-casing the backup process.

• Hi @xz4gb8 ,

That is a great practice, and it's generally safer to only mount backups when necessary.

The reason for not allowing duplicates is that sometimes macOS will launch the wrong copy of the app, or its extensions inside. This can cause wrong versions of extensions communicating with the app itself, and validation to fail since they're not in the same location as the app itself.

If you are not able to automatically mount and dismount your backup drive, then we suggest excluding the app from the backup, but if you want to have a copy, just zip up a copy of 1Password and back that up. Then if you ever need to restore in a situation where you can't download a fresh copy, you can unzip the zipped backup and be back in business.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• DavidEves
    DavidEves
    Community Member

How about you guys fix your updater so it handles a common user scenario, i.e. having a Time Machine backup of their Applications or having a cloned copy of a boot drive?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2020

@DavidEves:

Do you mind elaborating? What would 1Password ideally do in your opinion, without touching the backup or the clone? Thank you!

• DavidEves
    DavidEves
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

Ideally, 1Password would just update itself and not make me change the configuration of my system.

What do all the other applications that update themselves do when there are copies on mounted disks?

Why not do that?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@DavidEves:

From what ag_kevin wrote above, we do this to avoid macOS launching the wrong version of the app:

The reason for not allowing duplicates is that sometimes macOS will launch the wrong copy of the app, or its extensions inside. This can cause wrong versions of extensions communicating with the app itself, and validation to fail since they're not in the same location as the app itself.

So the update is not the problem, it's the fact that there are duplicate versions of the app. And because 1Password cannot choose what you decide to backup, it then shows that warning. But we can certainly continue to evaluate if there is anything we can do here :+1: Thank you again for the feedback!

• gburleigh
    gburleigh
    Community Member
    edited April 2021

I agree with @DavidEves this seems silly and is unique to 1password (none of my other apps do this). That being said, I was able to exclude in Time Machine settings.

• rudy
    edited April 2021

@gburleigh,

It is pretty unique to 1Password, there are a few other apps that have similar requirements but there aren't a lot of them. We're at a cross section between sandboxing, code signing and interprocess communication that causes us to be in this position. I've had conversations with people from Big Fruit Co about the issues we have and the conclusion was basically "that's how it has to be for now", but not really any indication on when that might change.

• bwadm
    bwadm
    Community Member

Hi Agile Team!
    I just had the same problem - the 1P Updater complaining that there are additional copies of 1Password 7 on my iMac. After some searching and testing, it turned out the it is not the TimeMachine backup that causes the message (which exists). The "additional copy" is detected on my MBP that was mounted on the iMac.
    I can provide a screenshot if required, but since the topic is known here I guess this is not necessary.
    I would argue that "additional copies" on mounted volumes with independent systems should neither be updated nor listed. The Updater must focus on the system on the local machine/Mac.
    When I unmount my MBP, the updater is happy and does not complain.
    After the update, the problem is gone even if the MBP is mounted - it only shows up if there is an update available.
    (The MBP is running 11.2.3, the iMac is from 2013 and runs 10.15.7 (the latest version allowed). The update for which I observed the error report was to 1P-7.8.1 from the beta before).

Bests, Bernd

• Hi @bwadm

I think @rudy summed up the situation with his comments here. As it stands our recommendations would still be:

• Exclude the 1Password app from any backups (data is stored separately from the app and can be backed up)
    • Unmount any volumes that have copies of 1Password on them, other than the one you're running 1Password from, before launching or attempting to update 1Password

Otherwise you run the risk that Kevin outlined above. I hope that helps!

Ben

• bwadm
    bwadm
    Community Member

Hi Ben,
    thanks! Not very comforting, but anyway.

The way you argue is fine for beta-Testers, but I am quite sure that the "average user" will not accept to update only with no other volumes mounted. These users will not pay attention to the question if there is somewhere another copy of 1P running/installed or not. And, in fact, the "average Mac user" is trained to feel that such problems are kept away from him/her.

Bests, Bernd

• @bwadm

I understand, but I think we're doing the best we can considering the current environment.

with no other volumes mounted

Other volumes aren't a problem unless they have a copy of the 1Password app on them.

These users will not pay attention to the question if there is somewhere another copy of 1P running/installed or not

That's why we include the warning in the updater. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.