Secret key case sensitive?

kram5819
kram5819
Community Member
edited April 2021 in Lounge

Well, I broke down and bought a new computer and I wound up not liking it.

So I'm getting another one tomorrow, when I set this new one up yesterday, I had no problems at all getting my 1password account /authy or any of my "stuff" set-up.

Unfortunately I have to do it again because I don't like the computer I got it's just not what I expected.

I don't remember if the secret key was case-sensitive or not?

I don't think it was, can you let me know if it's case-sensitive or not that way when I get my new computer tomorrow and I do it again, I will know if the secret key is case-sensitive.

I think the dashes are a must if I remember correctly.

Transferring everything over to the new computer went smoothly unfortunately, I have to do it again

Hopefully I'll hear from somebody, and I'll have an easy transition.

Even 2fa went very smoothly with authy no issues which is a surprise for me because my luck sometimes isn't always the best.

And yes I remembered to turn off Multi-Device while using authy once I set up the new computer.

Thank you very much in advance for your reply.

Also, is it possible to copy and paste the secret key or do I have to physically type it in?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kram5819!

I don't remember if the secret key was case-sensitive or not?

The Secret Key is not case sensitive.

Correct :)

Good luck with your new computer!

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited April 2021

Hi @kram5819 and @ag_ana !

Correct :)

When I wanted to log in to a new device I never entered the dashes. I just put in the letters and numbers and everything was fine. So I think that dashes are not a must. ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@DenalB:

It looks like you are right, I see here now that dashes are added for more readability, so adding them or not should not matter. Thank you for clarifying :+1:

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

As always you are very welcome. ;) :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• kram5819
    kram5819
    Community Member
    edited April 2021

I set up the new Chromebook today with no problems it went very smoothly.

I was able to copy/paste my secret key, and it did work. I hope this is the last computer swap I have to do for a few years.

1password, authy, my Google account & a few others all were loaded in to the Chromebook and working 100% it took about 45 minutes to change over.

I am impressed with 1password I am glad I made the switch from LastPass
    I appreciate everyone being helpful. I think 1password has a much better interface, easier to use, & I like having to have that secret key for added security,
    I have been using 1password for about 3 weeks now and plan to stick around.

Aside from a few features I would like to see 1password have, I am very happy with it. I was worried about authy getting set correctly & not losing my codes and I had no issues. I also turned off "allow multi device" once I got it set back up.

It was a smooth process and the same with 1password I am glad for that.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

That's nice to hear @kram5819, and thank you for the nice words :) Enjoy your new Chromebook!

This discussion has been closed.