Why must I double click the side button on my Apple Watch to use it to unlock 1Password?

Glenn Broadway
Glenn Broadway
Community Member

It's already secure - I'm wearing it - which means I have unlocked it using the PIN or my iPhone. Why must I go through the extra step of reaching across with my right hand to double click the side button? It ruins the convenience.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Glenn Broadway!

I have sent the question to the team. I imagine there is some technical reason that requires us to confirm the request, but we will post back as soon as we have an update :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Glenn Broadway:

I have heard back from the team with an update: it looks like this is a macOS requirement. The operating system asks third-party apps for this kind of approval, so 1Password has no possibility to opt-out. In other words, it's not 1Password asking for the double click, it's macOS.

• Glenn Broadway
    Glenn Broadway
    Community Member

Thanks for the insight!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @Glenn Broadway! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• Ryan Parman
    Ryan Parman
    Community Member

I don't have any insider information, but being a cybersecurity engineer I'd guess that it has to do with intent. So that if I turn my back or walk 10 ft away, someone else can't jump over and login as me.

Yes, you should lock your computer if you step away from it, but too many people don't. Security works best in layers.

• Ryan Parman
    Ryan Parman
    Community Member

Ah. I was blocking JavaScript-based comments and didn't see these responses until I disabled my blocker.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

It is possible that this is a security feature from Apple, that's true @Ryan Parman :+1:

• To my knowledge this is an Apple requirement and we have not control over the double click action. Personally, I agree with the comments here in that it's a security type of requirement.

This discussion has been closed.