Extension not working after Chrome update

Quasijones
Quasijones
Community Member
edited April 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Since Chrome updated to 90.0.4430.85 the 1PW extension no longer works on my Mac. It is installed and enabled but I have no toolbar icon in Chrome. If I have Chrome selected and click the 1PWD Mini icon in the menu bar it tells me to install the extension for Chrome. If i click the extensions button on the Chrome toolbar it shows the extension. This really is a PITA!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Quasijones
    Quasijones
    Community Member

BTW I have removed and re-added the extension. 1PWD is 7.8.1

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Quasijones!

Can you confirm what version of the 1Password browser extension you have installed in Chrome?

• Quasijones
    Quasijones
    Community Member

4.7.5.90 is what came from the website when I re-installed I believe...

• Quasijones
    Quasijones
    Community Member

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Quasijones:

Thank you! Since this started happening right after an update of Chrome, please make sure you quit and relaunch Chrome completely at least once. In case that wasn't enough, please quit 1Password completely as well (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely). You can then relaunch both 1Password and Chrome, and things should work again :+1:

• Quasijones
    Quasijones
    Community Member

I had already restarted Chrome and 1Password + Mini a number of times and the problem remains. I even rebooted the system. What other information can I provide? Using 1PWD use to be a breeze, as the years have passed this is no longer the case.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Quasijones ,

There are a couple of suggestions I can make to try and troubleshoot this:

If that didn't help, in order for us to pinpoint the issue we'd most likely need a diagnostics report from your computer: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

You can send it to support+extensions@1password.com.

• Quasijones
    Quasijones
    Community Member

Hi @ag_yaron - I just ran the two processes above with no change. I will collect the diagnostics and send across shortly. I also have a second system that is currently on Chrome 89.0.4389.128 with 1PWD working fine but Chrome has an update pending and requesting a restart. I guess I have two choices here! If I restart and see the same issue then at least that would rule out something specific to 'System A'.... What would you prefer?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Quasijones:

I think a diagnostics report from the current system will be useful, since the usual troubleshooting steps did not work for you :+1:

• Quasijones
    Quasijones
    Community Member

I have emailed the diagnostic package.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you @Quasijones! Have you received a ticket number already?

• Quasijones
    Quasijones
    Community Member

I just restarted Chrome on my other system and it's updated itself and working perfectly with the extension - the exact same versions installed of both. Very odd. I think my next step will be a full re-install of Chrome on the affected system,

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Quasijones:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your message in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible, so maybe you can avoid having to reinstall Chrome.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: NXR-38853-446

• Quasijones
    Quasijones
    Community Member

I emailed the file to support+extensions - I did not see a reply with a ticket number,

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

It looks like our replies crossed :) Email found already, no worries!

• Quasijones
    Quasijones
    Community Member

I have followed Google instructions to remove Chrome and its settings. I then reinstalled it.

When I add the 1Password extension, the toolbar icon is still not visible.

It does appear as the extension is in the process of being enabled/disabled - I recorded this behaviour -> https://youtu.be/q6vh-Hmb7EU

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Quasijones:

Thank you for the update! Let's continue the conversation via email, since I see my colleague Yaron is already helping you over there. I am going to close this forum discussion so we don't duplicate efforts by posting in multiple places :+1:

ref: NXR-38853-446

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

@Quasijones asked me to sum up the issue here for anyone else that is interested:

The issue was the presence of older versions of 1Password on his computer which caused the issue. After removing them and reinstalling 1Password Classic in his browser things worked correctly, but the extension did not show up on Chrome's toolbar, since new extensions are automatically hidden inside Chrome's little puzzle piece icon on the top right corner of the browser, so he had to pin it there manually to have it visible in the toolbar :)

This discussion has been closed.