1Password Safari Extension displays in the system accent colour under Safari 14

Kepi
Kepi
Community Member

Just upgraded to Safari 14 on Catalina, and now the 1Password Safari Extension is always displaying with the system's accent colour instead of white like the rest of the toolbar items (and how it displayed under Safari 13). Is this intentional?

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 7.6
OS Version: OS X 10.15.6 (19G2021)
Sync Type: Membership

Comments

• @Kepi,

Apple has decided to color the toolbar icons with your highlight color to indicate that that extension has javascript loaded into the page you're looking at. This is not a bug.

• narindo
    narindo
    Community Member

Hi @rudy

I have a similar issue, the 1password icon in Safari Technology Preview does not show any color it is 'dark', almost imperceptible.

See screenshots.

Safari Technology Preview = colour is black, no matter what highlight color is set.

Safari, non Technology Preview = OK, below the 'normal' Safari

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@narindo:

What version of 1Password for Mac are you currently using?

• narindo
    narindo
    Community Member

@ag_ana

1Password 7
    Version 7.8.1 (70801004)
    Mac App Store

Also, this happens in dark mode, normal mode it shows up like this:

• @narindo

From all indications this looks to be a bug within STP.

ref: dev/apple/issues#5284

• narindo
    narindo
    Community Member

@ag_tommy

Thanks, the normal Safari does give 1password a blue color. Not sure why it darkens like this. Is tried to reinstall this extension, but need to remove the entire 1password app from my Mac. Would this somehow reset it? (I have done many upgrades of 1password by now, is it possible it didn't upgrade/install the extension properly on STP?)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@narindo:

Looking at the information we have collected, this seems to be a bug in Safari Technology Preview, so it is possible that reinstalling the 1Password app will not change this behavior. If you are willing to give this a try anyway out of curiosity however, by all means let us know if it changes anything!

• @narindo,

Safari extensions don't get installed anywhere, they remain in the single location inside of the 1Password 7.app. pkd and Safari reference it from there, so if it shows up in STP, it sees it correctly.

• narindo
    narindo
    Community Member

@ag_ana @rudy many thanks. I guess I will have to live with it until it stops doing it then! It started recently somehow. Must be an update or something from MacOS (STP get quite regular updates).

• @narindo,

We've also reported the behavior to Apple as FB9054549 if you're so inclined to want to file a duplicate issue with them.

• narindo
    narindo
    Community Member

@rudy thanks! looks like this is solved with the new STP update: Release 124 (Safari 14.2, WebKit 16612.1.11.10)

It is blue again.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @narindo! This is great to hear :)

This discussion has been closed.