More Big Sur-prises: Password AutoFill on macOS!

blar
blar
Community Member

How can I enable this fancy integration of 1Password in Safari https://blog.1password.com/autofill-on-big-sur/?

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.0.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @blar,

It isn't available quite yet. More news soon, hopefully. :)

Ben

• imkh
    imkh
    Community Member

Hi @Ben, any news on this integration on Big Sur? This year's WWDC is right around the corner and I have to say I'm quite surprised at long this is taking, as we're used to 1Password adopt new platform features pretty quickly usually (for example when AutoFill appeared on iOS and Android).

Although, I noticed that I haven't seen any of the other major password managers (LastPass, Bitwarden, ...) implement this either. My quick Google search only leads me to Secrets for Mac (integration released November 20, 2020) and Strongbox (integration on December 4, 2020), which I both never heard about. Are there technical reasons as to why this feature is taking so long for everyone?

I'm really excited to finally have AutoFill in all apps instead of only browsers on macOS. Particularly for the constant Apple/iCloud/iTunes account login prompts every time you buy music/movies/etc. I'm also wondering if AutoFill will work with web-based Electron apps such as Slack and Spotify. Or maybe that will require an update from these apps to work with this integration? (to enable the detection of password fields for example?)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Nothing to share about this just yet @imkh, sorry! I don't know if there is a technical reason for this, but I know that our developers have been working on a lot of things recently though, so hopefully we will be able to share some updates soon :)

• imkh
    imkh
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana,

Following the reveal of 1Password 8 for Mac in Early Access, is there any news about this feature?

Your initial blog post is from June 2020, over a year ago, and AFAIK the macOS app still doesn't have this feature. I'm guessing the rewrite for 1Password 8 took much of your time, so that's why I'm asking again now 🙂

I feel like this feature is underestimated and not well known, as I still don't see a lot of password managers implementing it.
    Elpass does mention autofill for both web pages and native applications, but with some caveats.
    Bitwarden has a feature request on their community forums.

That's too bad since having autofill for all apps would be a game-changer in my opinion!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@imkh:

I'm guessing the rewrite for 1Password 8 took much of your time, so that's why I'm asking again now 🙂

I think you have hit the nail on the head with this :) Because of all the work that has gone into the new Early Access version, and that will go into the next few updates, we don't have any updates to share about this, sorry!

This discussion has been closed.