1Password Mac Safari does not work at all on M1 Mac now.

MajorHavoc
MajorHavoc
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

On my M1 Mac, using Safari (Version 14.0.3 (16610.4.3.1.4), 1Password (Version 7.8.1.BETA-1 (70801001)) the extension is not showing up at all. And I cannot delete the extension, as it asks me to delete the entire app instead. In the browser extensions, the small download cloud is showing for 1password, the app, not an extension. When I press it, I am told it is already installed. "To install this app, rename or move “1Password 7” from your Applications folder and try again." So, I cannot delete (to reinstall) the extension, I am told, "The “1Password” extension is part of the “1Password 7” application." Looks like it is all installed, yet nothing at all is showing up in Safari. OK, maybe it is just this Beta version, but this is not the first time I am seeing this.

Does 1Password even work in Safari on an M1 Mac?

1Password Version: 7.8.1.BETA-1 (70801001)
Extension Version: is there one?
OS Version: 11.2.2 (20D80)
Sync Type: 1Password Account.

Comments

• @MajorHavoc

It sounds like you may have clicked the more extensions button in Safari. Please don't do that as it can get you in a state like you're experiencing.

Restart the Mac, and then Open Safari > Preferences > Extensions - Place a checkmark beside of the 1Password extension.

• MajorHavoc
    MajorHavoc
    Community Member
    edited April 2021

Hmmm, there already was a check mark next to it. (After restarting)

• @MajorHavoc

Let's back up a moment. It's in Safari. ✓ Is the extension missing when you're looking at Safari as in visiting a webpage? If so, the following link may help.

If you don't see the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar

• MajorHavoc
    MajorHavoc
    Community Member

Well, this may be a Safari bug. I have two such items that want to sit to the left of the URL space. It seems, sometimes Webroot's icon displays on top of your icon. I moved them around, and now I see the 1Password icon. However, when the icon is not showing, I also do not see 1Password items in the right-click menu either. There is something more wrong here. Maybe sometimes the 1password extension is not loading?

• MovingDecoy
    MovingDecoy
    Community Member

@MajorHavoc my wife was having the same problem as you. I ended up uninstalling the AppStore version of 1Password and installed the version hosted on 1password.com, enabling the beta update, and then all was well in Safari for her.

macos version: 11.2.3(20d91) 1password version: 7.8.1.BETA-2(70801002)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MajorHavoc:

I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MajorHavoc:

Thank you for the suggestion! The Mac App Store version does not support beta updates, so MajorHavoc should already be on the same version as you. However, perhaps reinstalling the app might indeed be something worth trying, even when already on the website version of the app :+1:

• MajorHavoc
    MajorHavoc
    Community Member

Hi. You keep asking me to do these reports and I keep saying that my company will not allow me to share such a report. But I cannot believe no one else sees these problems. My issues cannot possibly be unique.

Secondly, by the tine the problem happens and I need to finish what I was doing when I see it, the report would be meaningless and old. I typically cannot just stop and generate a report. There has to be sone other way to get you more info.

If you would like to discuss this in a more secure, non-public forum, I can explain in more detail.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MajorHavoc:

If you would like to discuss this in a more secure, non-public forum, I can explain in more detail.

Certainly, if you prefer you can continue the conversation with my colleagues via email :+1: You can send your message to support+forum@agilebits.com.

After you have sent the email, it would still be useful if you could share the ticket number here so we can connect the two discussions. Thanks!

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

@MajorHavoc

1Password works fine for me on an M1 MBP; on the other hand Safari is super flakey, given to spinning beachballs and becoming non-responsive. I'm not sure the problem you're seeing in in 1Password, or in the application. If I get a 1P failure I'll pass on the report.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good @TomWolsky, thank you :+1:

• MajorHavoc
    MajorHavoc
    Community Member

Hi@TomWolsky. Thanks for the Info. I should be more clear. 1Password has been flaked on every Apple device I own, but seems more so with the new M1. Especially in Safari as you say.

But I’ll give some examples, and I know I’m not the only one seeing these two examples for example:

• Asking for my password RIGHT after I just put it in. I’ll go to 1Password (1PW) enter my 1PW, select an entry to fill in a password to an app or website. 30 seconds later, I need another password, and I’m asked for my 1PW again. Since I’m always home these days, my timeout is 30 minutes. It seldom stays unlocked for 1 minute much of the time. And no, my machine has a not sleeping or locking.

• Getting worse, and maybe we can blame website security, but all too often, I’ll ask 1PW to fill a password, only to be told my password is wrong. (I do NOT have auto “return” turned on, I have to tell it to proceed.). Yet, if I go to that entry in 1PW and copy/paste the PW manually, it works fine. I’m seeing this a lot. This is made worse when 1PW gets it wrong then makes me enter my 1PW password to try again.

I have not seen these issues nearly as often on Windows 10.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MajorHavoc:

Asking for my password RIGHT after I just put it in.

Is this happening in the main desktop app, or in the inline menu in Safari?

• MajorHavoc
    MajorHavoc
    Community Member
    edited April 2021

Hi. Well, I stopped trying to use it in Safari, it does not work well at all. I usually have to go to the main menu icon at the top of the Mac screen and copy paste. Even if it decides to open, I have to search for the password for the page I’m on. (Yes, 1Password has proper permissions.).I use Brave (a Chrone open source browser) or Chrome because they sort of work better. But in both of those when I right click to the 1Password menu, even if I just used 1Password, I’m often told I have to hit special keys(Command control x or something like that) to bring up the unlock screen, to then get the mini display, to then find my password. (Same on Windows). That is just too many steps.

But I see the behavior with the Mac top menu and the app too. Often, I leave the app unlocked on my desktop as the only way around the non-stop password request. And that is not very secure is it?

Sorry, just very frustrated at a product that worked so well for so long, but now annoys me almost daily. To put it another way, I actually am surprised and delighted when it occasionally works as expected. Maybe my expectations are too high? I realize Apple’s new security measures make things work differently.

Hope this helps anyway.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MajorHavoc:

But in both of those when I right click to the 1Password menu, even if I just used 1Password, I’m often told I have to hit special keys(Command control x or something like that) to bring up the unlock screen, to then get the mini display, to then find my password. (Same on Windows). That is just too many steps.

It sounds like you are using the new 1Password in the browser extension, which does not share the lock state with the desktop app, since it's an independent extension. I wonder if what you are really after is the behavior of the classic extension instead?

Get the 1Password classic extension

• MajorHavoc
    MajorHavoc
    Community Member

Well, that is a good question, but since It does not cover Safari, that does not explain the problems in Safari or in 1Password app itself, which show similar behaviors.

I'll try this classic on my Chrome browsers, but what do I give up by changing to classic?

Thanks for something to try.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MajorHavoc:

Reading your previous post, I thought you stopped using Safari:

Well, I stopped trying to use it in Safari, it does not work well at all.

So I focused on addressing other browsers. Let's try those first, since you are actively using them, and we can then focus on Safari.

I'll try this classic on my Chrome browsers, but what do I give up by changing to classic?

The classic extension does not have the inline menu that the new extension has, but you get keyboard shortcut support back, which you mentioned above.

• MajorHavoc
    MajorHavoc
    Community Member

OK. I will try to get to get to that suggestion done by the end of the week. Things at work are eating up my time these days.

BUT, today in Safari: Went to a page to login to a service, and the small "Unlock 1Password" dialog popped up on its own, right over where one would type. Clicking on the "Unlock 1Password", which was unlocked already (so this is one of those "separate process" things you spoke of?). Pressing the button did absolutely nothing. Pressing the small button next to the URL line did nothing. So, it is loaded but not working? Not loaded? This is the kind of things that just makes me want to scream. Safari 14.x on BigSur>

More on Mac and Windows with Classic soon.

(I noticed there is no classic environment for Mac, right?)

Oh, and only 1 photo per person per thread? I was going to put a photo of what I see here, but attempts on two different browsers show nothing happening when I click the image button above this text box. Just another in my ability to make things not work! :-(

Signed,
    The Black Thumb!
    (A nickname I was given by team members for constantly causing software to break)

• MajorHavoc
    MajorHavoc
    Community Member
    edited April 2021

Managed to get the classic installed on my Windows 10 machine 20 minutes ago. Restarted, I logged into the 1Password app., and then went to the first place to login in. Right click, 1password menu, no need to login in (hurrah) selected the proper entry, and ...

Nothing happened! I had to select it two to three more times before it actually filled in the name and password.

Well, this is an improvement if it does follow the app for login and password entry. .

Added on several minutes later: This I only see on a few websites, and otherwise seems to be operating well. Fingers crossed. Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MajorHavoc:

Thank you for the update! There could be something specific with these websites. Can you share the URLs so we can test them?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MajorHavoc:

I noticed one of your posts was caught by the spam filter, so here are the answers to your other questions:

(I noticed there is no classic environment for Mac, right?)

There is, you can download it from here:

Get the 1Password classic extension

Safari is an exception: the Safari exception is built into the app, so there is no need to install it separately.

Oh, and only 1 photo per person per thread? I was going to put a photo of what I see here, but attempts on two different browsers show nothing happening when I click the image button above this text box. Just another in my ability to make things not work! :-(

The forum supports uploading multiple screenshots in the same message. You should see a little window appear when you click on the image button here:

• MajorHavoc
    MajorHavoc
    Community Member
    edited April 2021

Ok, thanks for the update. Windows is behaving more like expected with Chrome and Brave. All good there.

On the forum images, I tried both Windows 10 and the latest MacOS BigSur , Chrome, Brave and Safari browsers, and that little box you show looks like it wants to appear (I saw the little upward facing triangle, but nothing else has been showing up.) But of course, today it is working. SIGH!

Meanwhile, 1Password on the Mac in BigSur is misbehaving badly. The small "Unlock" shows up, but pressing that, or the small 1Password log that shows up inside the text field, or even the 1Password logo to the left of the URL field near the top have zero effect. Command-Shift-X does pop-open the app for login however, that does not change the behavior near the login text fields, and that Unlock tiny window does not change. This requires searching in the app, and copy/paste to the text field. Note too how the main app says to install the extension, which is installed, and seems to be functioning partially.

This is a partial screen capture of exactly;y how it looks when I try and log into a website. I see the small Unlock, and the small icon in the text field, and Command-Shift-X opens the bigger windows, but dose not match the website, and does not unlock the Safari extension. (Note, if you believe this may be an macOS error, I am happy to file a bug on it with Apple.)

Thank you

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MajorHavoc:

When you see the locked inline menu, is the 1Password for Mac app unlocked when that happens, or is it locked as well?

• MajorHavoc
    MajorHavoc
    Community Member

Either way. Initially they are both locked, and the local UI is unresponsive. Even after unlocking 1PW from the top menu, the local items remain unresponsive. They do, however, follow the focus. If I click the password box, the unlock window moves accordingly, so the code is running. But I’m unable to get them to respond locked or unlocked.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MajorHavoc:

Understood. Unfortunately without a diagnostics report it will be difficult to say what could be causing this on your device, but we can keep an eye out for similar reports, and possibly continue the investigation there :+1:

• MajorHavoc
    MajorHavoc
    Community Member
    edited April 2021

OK, after walking through way too many logs and trying different things, I found a way to get it working for me:

In System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Input Monitoring (Input Monitoring allows apps to monitor user input even while in other apps), I unlocked the Preference pane, and added 1Password to Input Monitoring. Once I did that, I quit and restarted 1Password, and everything is now responding properly, even in Safari!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MajorHavoc:

My 1Password app is not even in the Input Monitoring list in my Preferences, so generally speaking that setting should have no effect. But then again, without the logs it would be difficult to say what might be going on on your system, so I am glad to hear that this helped in your case!

• MajorHavoc
    MajorHavoc
    Community Member

Hi. Just to be clear I believe nothing is in that list be default. You have to unlock the panel and press the + to add an app.

That said when I removed it again, the issues returned, so it is making a difference for me. This could be a software collision with something else I have, or something added by Apple recently in an update on security.

If there is a particular log you want, I can get it and scrub anything that I cannot show.

• @MajorHavoc,

Sounds more likely that something your employer might've installed causing the behavior?

• MajorHavoc
    MajorHavoc
    Community Member
    edited April 2021

Well, maybe, except my employer offers employees a license of 1Password, so not sure why they would block it.

This discussion has been closed.