Login works on browser but not desktop for one family user.

I have 1P for families installed on 3 computers with 3 users configured. Two of the users that are on 2 different computer are working fine. The third on a Win7 Pro system is not. On the 3rd computer, I can logon to the 3rd user in the Firefox browser at the My.1password.com site. But when I try to open the desktop app it appears that the password is not recognized. I have reset the master password, uninstalled the desktop app and reinstalled the latest version. Still unable to unlock the desktop app.

I originally installed on this system a year ago but haven't used it for a while. When I first fired it up today, I couldn't remember the password so I performed a recovery from the family organizer user. The recovery was successful. I still can't unlock the desktop app.

What's the next step to try.

A side note: the recovery notice was sent to all three users. Is that normal? Shouldn't the recover only go to the user being recovered?

1Password Version: 7.6.797
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 7 Pro, Windows 10 pro
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DoctorBrown!

I originally installed on this system a year ago but haven't used it for a while. When I first fired it up today, I couldn't remember the password so I performed a recovery from the family organizer user. The recovery was successful. I still can't unlock the desktop app.

Your 1Password app on this device probably has the old credentials from a year ago. You will need to reset it in order to add the new account information:

How to reset the 1Password app on a specific device

A side note: the recovery notice was sent to all three users. Is that normal? Shouldn't the recover only go to the user being recovered?

For confirmation: did all three users receive an email with a button to recover their own account? Or did they only receive an informational message that a user in the account has initiated recovery?

• DoctorBrown
    DoctorBrown
    Community Member
    edited April 2021

Sorry for the delay in replying. I had other things to concentrate on.

Your 1Password app on this device probably has the old credentials from a year ago. You will need to reset it in order to add the new account information:

Resetting the user worked. Luckily this user was a test user (that will become a more active one) and didn't have many passwords saved. I was able to move them to a shared vault.

For confirmation: did all three users receive an email with a button to recover their own account? Or did they only receive an informational message that a user in the account has initiated recovery?

The third user I was performing the recovering for received an email with subject: Recover your 1Password account. And a second message: Your 1Password account has been successfully recovered
    The second user received a message with the subject: Complete account recovery
    It's not clear why the second user, which didn't require recovery, was notified.

I have emphasized the confusing part in bold. The text of the message is:

A 1Password family member is ready for recovery completion

1Password

Recover [third user]'s 1Password account

[third user] has asked you to recover their account.
    Complete account recovery

Family members in recovery mode can’t sign in until you complete account recovery.

Welcome [third user] to 1Password!

1Password

made by 1Password • sent to: [second user]>>@yahoo.com

303-49 Spadina Ave. • Toronto • Ontario • M5V2J1 • Canada

• DoctorBrown
    DoctorBrown
    Community Member

Oh, it could be that the second user is also a Family Organizer.

• @DoctorBrown

If they are also a family organizer, then yes, they would have received the message.

This discussion has been closed.