Biometric Unlock Unavailable

mcampbell37172
mcampbell37172
Community Member

Hello,

Using Android 10 and 1Password 7.7.2, I get the following error when I try to enable Biometric Unlock:
Biometric Unlock could not be enabled because an error occurred:
java.security.InvalidAlgorithmParameterException:
java.lang.IllegalStateException: At least one biometric must be enrolled to create keys requiring user authentication for every use

I have facial recognition setup and working on my Android tablet. I have tried reinstalling 1Password, removing my face pattern and re-adding, disabling biometrics on my tablet, and, of course, rebooting along with each of these steps. I can seem to get it work with 1Password.

Any ideas how I can resolve this?

Thanks,
Michael

1Password Version: 7.7.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 10
Sync Type: 1Password Cloud
Referrer: forum-search:biometric

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mcampbell37172! Welcome to the forum!

I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Android device and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• mcampbell37172
    mcampbell37172
    Community Member

Support ID: #RWP-87248-675

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mcampbell37172:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your message in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: RWP-87248-675

• b2loggie
    b2loggie
    Community Member

I am experiencing the same issue on my Galaxy A51 and Biometric unlock. I am using the trial. Using LastPass presently but looking to switch if I can use the app across Windows, MAC OS, IOS and Android

• Hi @b2loggie. I don't believe Face Unlock is supported on that device, so you'll need to enable Fingerprint Unlock in order to use Biometric Unlock with 1Password. Can you let us know if you have Face or Fingerprint Unlock enabled in the device settings?

• electroAJ
    electroAJ
    Community Member

Same problem. 1password for teams. Samsung Galaxy tab S7

• Hi @electroAJ. Do you have fingerprint unlock set up for the device itself? 1Password uses the biometric settings for the device, so you'll need to have Fingerprint Unlock set up on the device to use it in 1Password.

• electroAJ
    electroAJ
    Community Member

Peri,

I have face unlock enabled. It is working to unlock my tablet. Here's the error I'm seeing...

Biometric Unlock unavailable
    Biometric Unlock could not be enabled because an error
    occurred: java.security. I nvalidAlgorithm Pa rameterException:
    java.lang.lllegalStateException: At least one biometric must be enrolled to
    create keys requiring user authentication for every use

1password 7.7.4
    Android 11

• ag_audrey
    edited April 2021

Hey @electroAJ, there are a few device requirements in order to enable Face Unlock with 1Password. The Biometric Unlock error that you are receiving is because you have Face Unlock configured when your Samsung device will only be able to use Fingerprint Unlock with 1Password. I'd recommend enabling Fingerprint Unlock on your device to use with 1Password: https://support.1password.com/android-biometric-unlock/.

If you can't use Fingerprint Unlock on your Android tablet, you can use a PIN code to unlock 1Password instead: https://support.1password.com/android-pin-code/.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help you with :)

• electroAJ
    electroAJ
    Community Member

Thanks, @ag_audrey. I will look into using fingerprint unlock. Do you know... Why is my samsung device only able to use fingerprint unlock with 1Password if it is capable of face unlock? I have a Google pixel 4 that is also configured to unlock with facial recognition and that device has no trouble unlocking 1Password also with facial recognition. I would expect both android devices to be capable of unlocking 1Password with face unlock. Is this a shortcoming of 1Password, or of my Samsung device?

• @electroAJ Android is customizatable and available on devices from many different manufacturers. This means that some devices have their own way of handling Face Unlock or Fingerprint Unlock, and these are not always secure by our standards.

As we put security above all else, we have certain requirements for Face Unlock on Android. We require Google's official Biometric framework to be supported. Additionally, Google's method rates different unlock methods, and 1Password will only support unlock methods considered strong.

Currently, the only devices that meet these criteria are the Pixel 4 and the Pixel 4 XL. We hope Samsung and other device manufacturers support this in the near future.

• electroAJ
    electroAJ
    Community Member

@Amber_ag Thank you for this thorough explanation. I understand and appreciate the prioritization of security.

• I'm glad Amber_ag and ag_audrey were able to help out!

• sorcerer10
    sorcerer10
    Community Member

Same problem with Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 lite and Android 11. I only have face unlock and no fingerprint rendere on this device.
    This is an actual issue. Typing pin/password every time is a terrible UX.
    Millions of people in the world are using Samsung face unlock, seriously doubt it's not secure.

• Hi @sorcerer10. As Amber mentioned above, 1Password has certain requirements for biometric unlock security. While many devices support different versions of biometric unlock, 1Password requires the device support Google's native biometric unlock framework, strong encryption, and a depth sensing camera (so it can't be fooled with a picture). So while you may be able to use face unlock on lots of different devices, it may not meet the criteria for use with 1Password.

I'm sorry that PIN unlock isn't as convenient. I'll share your feedback with our development team.

• oliverblitz
    oliverblitz
    Community Member

The Samsung Note 20 Ultra (and probably others) has a face recognition option for "Fast recognition", with which they warn a video or image of my face could be used to unlock. So I assume it does some sort of 3D check when that option is turned off.

Could your engineers look into allowing the face recognition verification method for 1password if face recognition is set to check thoroughly in the Samsung devices supporting this?

Thanks in advance! :)

• Hey @oliverblitz, thank you for letting us know about the fast recognition option. I'll let our development team know to look into this :)

• Asyd Rayn
    Asyd Rayn
    Community Member

I'm getting the same error except it's not javascript and I'm using fingerprint biometrics on a Pixel 6 Pro. My error is the following: "Biometric unlock could not be enabled because an error occurred: too many attempts. Try again later." I've waited a day between attempts but nothing. Uninstalled and reinstalled and was able to toggle everything but biometric during initial setup.

It worked until yesterday. I noticed this because when trying to log into things it would pop up asking me to continually enter my master password for every site I needed to login to use.

• Hello @Asyd Rayn Thanks for letting us know about this issue.

I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Android device and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

We look forward to your reply!

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member

@Asyd Rayn I am curious if you got this issue resolved as I see others with a Pixel 6 having the same problem ie enabling BIOMETRIC for their new Pixel phones.

• Asyd Rayn
    Asyd Rayn
    Community Member

I did -- I think. It appears it's not really 1Password, but the fingerprint reader and set-up. When I got the phone I just added my thumbprint and later went back to add other prints and that's when I had problems. It appears to me, and this is obviously anecdotal, but when I added my other prints the system seems to get confused and the original print seemed to get wiped. Multiple attempts with an originally valid print wasn't recognized and locked me out of the system. It's annoying, but it's not 1Password since other apps seemed to get confused as well.

I wiped them all and then entered them all again, one right after the other, and haven't had a problem since, well that is if I don't mash my finger to the glass until I get the white light. Speed/pressure is an clearly an issue with the reader

• Thanks for the update, @Asyd Rayn. I'm glad you were able to get biometry working on your new Pixel 6!

• Bobo007
    Bobo007
    Community Member

Hi… I have been trying to have this working on Samsung S10 and now on brand new S21… nope same issue as described here! Same Error! It is a bit strange that you didn’t provide any solution… or I didn’t find it.

• Hey @Bobo007. If you're seeing:

Biometric Unlock could not be enabled because an error occurred:
    java.security.InvalidAlgorithmParameterException:
    java.lang.IllegalStateException: At least one biometric must be enrolled to create keys requiring user authentication for every use

It's likely that 1Password doesn't detect any supported enrolled biometric factors. Can you clarify whether you have your fingerprints enrolled on the device, or just your face/iris? On both the Samsung S10 and S21, you'll need to use Fingerprint Unlock with 1Password, as Face Unlock doesn't meet our security requirements here.

• Bobo007
    Bobo007
    Community Member

Hi,
    "On both the Samsung S10 and S21, you'll need to use Fingerprint Unlock with 1Password, as Face Unlock doesn't meet our security requirements here."... ok.. I didn't know that! So no Face Unlock!

Thanks!

• No problem, @Bobo007! Please enroll your fingerprint and let us know if you have any further trouble with biometric unlock in 1Password after!

This discussion has been closed.