To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How can I remove a website from the breach report if I don't have an account with them anymore?

User123
User123
Community Member
edited April 2021 in Memberships

The breach was almost a decade ago and they don't even have my email in their database for password recovery anymore as I didn't use that website at all basically. (Also, it would be nice if I could put my business email into the watchtower as well)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:breach report remove

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @User123 ,

I'm not sure I fully understand the issue you are describing.
    Does Watchtower notify you about a specific item in your 1Password that was breached and that you should change your password for it? If so, in case you no longer have that account (or don't have access to that account on the website), simply delete the item/entry from your 1Password.

• User123
    User123
    Community Member
    edited April 2021

Hello, @ag_yaron

Not exactly. I go to my WatchTower and then "create Report". The report says: "Your data was found in 1 breach.
    We’ve searched the haveibeenpwned.com database for ***********@*****.com and found 1 inclusion of your data. Change this password to keep your account safe." https://imgur.com/rZLnI0F
    And below that I am presented with a website that was breached and my info leaked. That website is not among my 1Password items/logins. The only option I am presented with is to manually create it as a login item. In pursuit of removing it I created it with a random password. If I go to breach report after that, the notification is still there but it's green instead of red.

To summarize as I see it right now: I can ether look at the red notification or have a fake login in my database to make it a green notification. I cannot remove it (at least I can't find an option to) It is in the Breach Report pop-up window

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the clarification @User123 .

If you search for that website's domain in your 1Password desktop app, do you not find any results at all? Maybe it is in a password item and not a login item, so the search function of the desktop app should find that website. Make sure to only search for the domain name and not the entire URL (e.g. search for "amazon.com" and not for "https://www.amazon.com/login").

• User123
    User123
    Community Member

@ag_yaron
    I have gone through all the items back and forth a couple times. Just in case, I searched for it again just now as per your request. Additionally, I haven't used that website in 9-10 years, changed many computers since then without the export/import function for my passwords. I started using 1Password 4-5 months ago, there is just no way it could even get into the 1password item database. I am not exactly sure about how the breach report function is being formulated, I assumed it works based off of my email, not necessarily the domain names in my database. Do you have any other possible solutions in mind?
    Thanks for your effort

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@User123 Watchtower uses the haveibeenpwned API. If you enter your email address into haveibeenpwned.com does that website come back as one of the listed breaches? If so, then its being triggered by your email address rather than your Login items.

• User123
    User123
    Community Member

@missingbits Yes, it comes back as breached. I'm trying to figure out a way to remove it from the breach report in my WatchTower

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@User123 I use a unique email address for my 1Password account, so I've not had any Watchtower breach reports, at least not yet :smile:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@User123:

I wanted to let you know that I have sent your question to the rest of the Web team, perhaps they will have some tips they can share ;)

• User123
    User123
    Community Member

@ag_ana Thank you☺️

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are very welcome :+1: :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@User123:

I have heard back about this, and it seems that removing a specific email from the report is not possible. The idea seems to be that not having an account with a specific site anymore does not eliminate the fact that a breach happened at a certain point in time. The breach report, unlike Watchtower notifications, is not meant to be necessarily actionable, more informational.

• To add an example for why this works the way it does:

If my information was leaked as part of the Equifax situation, I want to know that. I can’t really do much about it, because my Social Security Number, DOB, etc is immutable, but it is still valuable to know that information is out in the wild. There are actions I might take outside of any accounts with Equifax, such as setting up credit freezes, notifying my bank, and/or purchasing credit monitoring. This is all valid whether I have or had an account with Equifax or not. The information is still leaked: no longer having an account with them wouldn't change that.

Ben

• User123
    User123
    Community Member

I understand the value of that information, very useful indeed. I was wondering if there is a way I can remove that notification once I have taken all the measures I deemed necessary. I am starting to get a feeling that it's not possible. Is that a valid assessment?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@User123 Is it an option to change the email address you use for 1Password login?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

@User123 You can't remove this notification from that bit of information from the breach report.

As @missingbits mentioned, you can create a new email account and use that new email as your primary one for 1Password and any other account that is reported to be breached with that email.

• User123
    User123
    Community Member

@missingbits I prefer not to as I would like to keep an eye on any potential breaches associated with that email.

I guess I'll learn to ignore that notification.

Thank you for your efforts everyone. Much appreciated. :chuffed:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of everyone, you are welcome @User123! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.