Two factor security in standalone app

Options
tnhybrid2017
tnhybrid2017
Community Member

I'm looking into buying the standalone app because I don't want my personal information on the Internet (and I'm not interested in having a conversation about how safe/unsafe it is, btw - cancelled my subscription once I realized what it required.) The language on the licensing page says "Some features are only available with a 1Password membership, like multi factor security, web access, data loss protection, and family accounts."

I've been a loyal customer of 1 PW for over a decade, but I don't much see the point of shelling out $65 for a license that doesn't provide two factor security, since other password solutions do and won't try to force me to keep my info online. Anyone have advice?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mojave 10.14.6
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2021
    Options

Hi @tnhybrid2017!

Two-Factor Authentication is indeed only available with 1Password Memberships. However, truth be told, 2FA for an encryption-based product such as 1Password is not as useful as you would expect, since the second factor does not have anything to do with the encryption of your data.

You can read more about this here if you are interested:

Authentication and encryption in the 1Password security model

The 1Password apps don’t need two-factor authentication. 1Password accounts use Two Secret Key Derivation (2SKD) to make sure no one can access your data without both your Master Password and your Secret Key.

This discussion has been closed.