Temporarily removing Desktop App Integration

Comments

• nikmolnar
    nikmolnar
    Community Member
    edited March 2021

I'm new to this thread, and to the forum. This morning, I had to install the 1Password extension on a new browser; the first time I've had to do this in a while. I was surprised when it asked me to sign in through the browser, even though I was already signed in on the desktop app, and was used to always signing in through the desktop app (this is one of the things I really appreciated when I first switched to 1Password).

I eventually found that the functionality I was expecting is now in the "classic" extension. I'm glad this option is still available, and was happy to see that this functionality will be (re) added to the new extension. However, it seems a bit odd that the new extension is now the default, having not yet reached feature parity with the "classic" extension. It seems like this would fit better as an opt-in beta instead of the default option.

• nickmcguire
    nickmcguire
    1Password Alumni

Heya @nikmolnar πŸ‘‹πŸΌ

Welcome to the forum, we're happy to have you! πŸŽ‰

I'm glad you were able to find the extension that fit what you were looking for. Both 1Password in the browser and the 1Password classic extension have their own benefits (one of those definitely being the unlock method). There's lots of helpful little things in the 1Password in the browser extension which can help as you fill your way through the internet, but if you want to wait until this feature is more widely released that's understandable.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out.

• sc181
    sc181
    Community Member

@nikmolnar I agree - renaming 1Password X and making it the default makes no sense until it can do what the "Classic" extension does, aka touch id.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for chiming in @sc181 :+1:

• netcam
    netcam
    Community Member

Hi - Any updates on this it has been 7 months since TouchID was removed and over 4 months since it was originally planned to be returned.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @netcam !

The latest news came from @dteare on March 9th. Actually the desktop integration came to the Linux version of the app and the extension. (https://1password.community/discussion/comment/591579/#Comment_591579)

• Zandr
    Zandr
    Community Member

Given that the details of this sort of integration (especially with something like TouchID) are likely to be platform- and even browser-specific, I can't see why the Linux release would be encouraging for Mac OS users.

1Password works great in Safari. Unfortunately, Safari's implementation of a single search/address bar is so bad that it's a deal breaker for me.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Zandr ,

Progress is progress, and we're happy to see it being already available for Linux users.
    Stay tuned and check this discussion thread every now and then for more news.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Naxterra ,
    Not yet. The last update by Dave (1Password's co-founder) here was on March 9th.

Thanks for checking up on this.

• klepp0906
    klepp0906
    Community Member

just posting here so i "presumably" get notifications surrounding news. chomping at the bit :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@klepp0906:

If all you are interested in is notifications on a discussion, you can also mark it as favorite ;)

Great to hear that you are excited about this!

• jmrl
    jmrl
    Community Member

Hi! Apologies for piling onto this thread with more complaints. I understand that this feature was removed, and you're working on bringing it back. Fair enough. As a developer myself, I get it.

My problem is that it was quite a headache for me to figure this all out.

I downloaded 1Password for Chrome from the Chrome Web Store, while I downloaded the classic extension for Firefox from 1Password's website. I noticed that the new extension is better in every way except that the classic extension supports Touch ID, but I didn't know that this was because I was using different extensions. It took a fair amount of clicking, searching, reading threads on this website, and being dumbfounded by documentation pages that I didn't know were for the other browser extension type for me to figure that out.

So then, with my newfound knowledge, I installed the newer extension on Firefox and wondered: where did my Touch ID go?!?! After more clicking, more searching, more reading threads that I didn't know were outdated, I found that Touch ID was not supported in 1Password X unless I switch to Chrome, get the beta extension for Chrome, and install the beta version of the macOS application.

Here we go. Beta extension for Chrome. Beta application for macOS. My head hurts, but I did it, right? I can use Touch ID now?

More clicking, more searching, more reading threads that I didn't know were outdated, and I find that I need to actually enable Desktop App Integration in my settings for this to work. So then I go to settings, look for the option, and bang my head on the keyboard aggressively when I couldn't find it. Then and only then did I find this thread.

I understand the situation now, but this shouldn't have been so hard to figure out. In the meantime, extensions, website pages, and documentation need to be clearer about what extension you're working with, what the trade-offs are, and what information is applicable for your situation. Forum threads with outdated information should be prominently labelled if not removed.

If I wanted my password manager to give me headaches, I would've kept my money and stuck with LastPass.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Agreed @jmrl, and thank you for the feedback! I can see how things can be confusing, as it is a transition period for us too when it comes to this after all. Hopefully in the not so distant future we will be able to improve here :+1:

• netcam
    netcam
    Community Member

Any updates on restoring TouchID to Chrome? It has now been 8 months since this feature was temporarily removed.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@netcam:

The latest update from our founder Dave in this discussion was from March 9th :+1:

• semicuda
    semicuda
    Community Member

To quote from that almost two months old update:

"It’s also temporary as we’ll be rolling things out to Windows and Mac users in the coming months."

It's understandable that people are asking for some actual news, and being referred to that old update isn't really satisfying.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

I agree with you @semicuda. Our developers are indeed still working on this, but sorry we don't have any more specific updates to share at the moment :(

• nickmcguire
    nickmcguire
    1Password Alumni

Hey everyone! πŸ‘‹πŸΌ

I'm excited to share some news with you all, A better way to unlock πŸ”“

• homebrewcrew
    homebrewcrew
    Community Member

O heck ya

• ryin_hobs
    ryin_hobs
    Community Member

Thanks for all your hard work on bringing back this feature. Definitely a welcomed return. Just a note, that the beta desktop client is also needed for TouchID support.

• nikmolnar
    nikmolnar
    Community Member

Awesome, thank you!

• Wilhelm
    Wilhelm
    Community Member

Awesomesauce! Thank you very much. Will be checking it out right away! :)

• seren
    seren
    Community Member

Just tested and it works as advertised. Thanks!

• joschaf
    joschaf
    Community Member

Great, works very nicely! I'm very happy :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you all for the kind words and for your patience so far :)

• semicuda
    semicuda
    Community Member

What a coincidence in timing πŸ˜… working great here! Thanks everyone πŸ‘

• carstenlange
    carstenlange
    Community Member

Finally - thank you guys :)

• mcnahum
    mcnahum
    Community Member

Thanks, it's working correctly ... except with Edge Canary.. is it normal for now? (but that's really cool!!)

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @mcnahum ,

You might need to perform some of the steps outlined on this page to get things working in Canary: https://support.1password.com/could-not-connect/#what-you-should-do

This discussion has been closed.