1Password Chrome extension doesn't see Dropbox vault

doctorjeep
doctorjeep
Community Member

My Chrome extension saves only to a Personal vault, which isn't my main one. I can't figure out how to get the extension to see my Primary vault in Dropbox on my MacBook, as all my other devices do.

macOS 10.15.7
Chrome 89.0.4389.90
1Password 7.7
1Password extension 1.24.1

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 1.24.1
OS Version: 10.15.7
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• @doctorjeep

Typically we recommend a user remove a Primary vault (Dropbox) when using a membership. This prevents confusion and accidentally saving data in an incorrect vault. The Primary is not part of your membership. It's an advanced configuration. If you would like instructions on accomplishing that, please let me know.

To answer your question, you'll want to switch to our classic extension for the Primary vault to be available for use.

Get the 1Password classic extension

• doctorjeep
    doctorjeep
    Community Member

Hi @ag_tommy, and thanks for the reply. I want to be sure I understand the Primary issue, because switching to a membership a few months ago was the solution to a couple of different, previous problems.

1. Does "the Primary is not part of your membership" mean that no local/Dropbox storage is available with a membership?
    2. Is the Primary a carryover from my 7 years as an app customer, without a membership?
    3. Do I have only one Personal vault, and where is that stored?
    4. If I can't use the Primary anymore, how can I merge the two vaults so I retain all the data? (I have more than 600 passwords in the Primary--too many to merge/eliminate dups manually.)
    5. The classic extension doesn't work for me in Chrome--it launches the website (that might have been one of the reasons I had to switch to a membership).

It sounds like this could get complicated, so maybe the advanced configuration would be simpler. Instructions for that would be helpful. Thanks again.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@doctorjeep:

Does "the Primary is not part of your membership" mean that no local/Dropbox storage is available with a membership?

Correct, the Primary vault is not part of your Membership, it's stored on a third-party server like Dropbox.

Is the Primary a carryover from my 7 years as an app customer, without a membership?

Yes.

Do I have only one Personal vault, and where is that stored?

Only one Personal vault, stored on 1Password.com.

If I can't use the Primary anymore, how can I merge the two vaults so I retain all the data? (I have more than 600 passwords in the Primary--too many to merge/eliminate dups manually.)

You cannot merge two vaults automatically, but you can move items from one vault to another:

Move and copy items

Sorting by "Recently used" or "Recently created" might help avoid duplicates. You could also use the duplicate removal tool in 1Password for Mac in case you have too many duplicates to remove manually.

• doctorjeep
    doctorjeep
    Community Member
    edited May 2021

Hi @ag_ana and thanks for your reply! Could you please provide the "advanced configuration" instructions @ag_tommy mentioned? Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@doctorjeep:

In 1Password for Mac, please open Preferences > Advanced tab and enable "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts". You can then sync your existing Primary vault under Preferences > Sync :+1:

• doctorjeep
    doctorjeep
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana, and thanks for the instructions. That box is already checked in 1Password 7 for Mac, so I can see the Dropbox vault. The browser extension sees only the Personal vault, not the Primary on Dropbox. If I click through the extension, it opens the 1Password website, which shows only the Personal vault. How can I get the app and the extension to work together? Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@doctorjeep:

The browser extension sees only the Personal vault, not the Primary on Dropbox.

Can you please download the classic extension and see if that works for you?

The classic extension is the only one who can see vaults stored outside of 1Password accounts, including the ones in Dropbox.

• doctorjeep
    doctorjeep
    Community Member

@ag_ana Yes, for the last two weeks I've been using that extension with 1Password 7. This combination works fine on my desktop computer and not the laptop. The laptop specs are listed in this post, except that I'm using the classic extension.

FWIW, the first item in the extension menu is "1Password extension (desktop app required)" and if I click through the extension, it opens the 1Password website, which shows only the Personal vault.

The second item in the menu is "1Password" which doesn't do anything.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@doctorjeep:

FWIW, the first item in the extension menu is "1Password extension (desktop app required)" and if I click through the extension, it opens the 1Password website, which shows only the Personal vault.

What do you see if you click once on the extension? Can you post a screenshot?

Also, was the browser recently updated? If so, can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password? You might need to quit and relaunch the browser too, to enable the connection between them once again.

• kschults
    kschults
    Community Member

I am having the same issue with the Firefox extension. Using the classic extension works, but I'd love to use the new one instead.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@kschults:

Since we discussed several questions in this topic, can you confirm what issue you are referring to exactly?

• kschults
    kschults
    Community Member

@ag_ana Sorry - I'm having the title issue - the extension does not see the Dropbox vault, just the Account vaults.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@kschults:

Thank you for the confirmation! If you have vaults on Dropbox, you will indeed need the classic extension:

The new 1Password in the browser extension (which is the one I suspect you installed), only sees 1Password.com vaults.

• kschults
    kschults
    Community Member

That definitely worries me a little that sometime in the future the "Classic Extension" will no longer be supported. I really hope you add support for Dropbox vaults to the new extension before you drop support for the classic.

• Thanks for taking the time to share that feedback with us @kschults. I'd be interested to hear what it is that you prefer about syncing your 1Password data to Dropbox, vs our first party service? Have you tried 1Password membership? Please let us know — we'd like to understand your concerns. If you haven't given membership a try yet, you can sign up and try it for free, here:

https://1password.com/sign-up/

Ben

• kschults
    kschults
    Community Member

I like that it's available without the membership. I like that it means I have another source for backing up the data. I did just start a subscription (for entirely coincidental reasons), which I like, but I also don't want to be in a situation where I lose access to all of my passwords if I drop the subscription.

• @kschults

Thanks for sharing! To address some of those points:

I like that it means I have another source for backing up the data.

The encrypted data is in the same number of places with either Dropbox or membership: on each of your devices, as well as with the service.

I did just start a subscription (for entirely coincidental reasons), which I like

That's great! Will be interested to hear how you feel after having it a while. :)

but I also don't want to be in a situation where I lose access to all of my passwords if I drop the subscription.

Fortunately that isn't what happens. 😁 Regardless of subscription status we never lock anyone out of their data. Without an active subscription, you'd still have read-only access and could also export your data.

If your 1Password account is frozen

Ben

• mattman
    mattman
    Community Member

@Ben

I would just like to chime in here and state that for my own personal use I also prefer to have both dropbox and my account.

For the record, I love my 1Password account and am very happy with it, but it makes me feel more secure to have another source to save my passwords and to use the application with that source as well as the 1Password account.

I am somewhat troubled by the move away from that feature. I understand the revenue stream for AgileBits and the need for subscription revenue, but I personally love the option for using an alternative vault and really want to keep using that option.

Thanks for listening and keep up the good work!

Sincerely,

Matthew Fosberg

• nisgk
    nisgk
    Community Member

@Ben

I would like to add my use for Dropbox access. I use my 1Password account' Personal vault to save work-related passwords and the dropbox function to save non-work-related passwords. Is there a better way to do this?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@nisgk:

If you have a 1Password account, you can create multiple vaults on 1Password.com, so you can use a single extension. Is this something that would work for you?

Create and share vaults

This discussion has been closed.