Signing in to a device with mircoG? Using CalixOS (calixos.org)

GenericChannel_2
GenericChannel_2
Community Member

I'm trying to sign into a Calyx OS 2.4.0 Android 11 device ( https://calyxos.org ) using MircoG v0.2.18.204714 ( https://microg.org/ ) instead of the usual google play services. However, when I enter the details and click sign in, the app gets stuck in the sign-in phase. I know the details are correct because when I enter them wrong the app lets me know the password/masterkey combination is incorrect. The problem is that no matter how long I wait, the app doesn't actually sign in and sync the details of my account, so even though the app seems to authenticate just fine (it can tell when the password is wrong), I effectively can't sign in because the sync never happens.

Any chance someone has figured out a solution for this? Would love to hear suggestions

1Password Version: 7.7.4 (70704002)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 11 (CalyxOS 2.4.0)
Sync Type: my.1password.com

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @GenericChannel_2!

I know 1Password for Android requires the Google Play Services to work, so it is possible that this is happening if they are not present. I have asked for confirmation with the rest of the Android team however, in case they have encountered this before :+1:

• GenericChannel_2
    GenericChannel_2
    Community Member
    edited May 2021

Hi @ag_ana,

Thanks for the reply. MircroG aims to emulate GPlay services so in most cases apps that require it (such as Whatsapp and Protonmail) work just fine. However there's some services that MircroG is unable so emulate.

Is there any chance you know which specific Google Play services the 1Password app uses? Maybe I can look into it myself and see what the incompatibility between the 1Password app and MicroG is

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@GenericChannel_2:

I tried looking for it, but I have not managed to find something at that level of detail (although I am not an Android expert). We will post back here though as soon as someone from the Android team had the chance to see my message :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@GenericChannel_2:

I was asked to check something with you: are you able to login to your 1Password account on this device, but in the web browser rather than in the Android app?

• GenericChannel_2
    GenericChannel_2
    Community Member

I figured out what the problem was!! I'm now signed into my device on the 1password appp (It's supported by microG!), thanks for the suggestions.

I figured out it was because I had a security key set up as 2FA! Initially when I tried to sign into my browser (I'm using brave 1.23.71 which is Chromuim 90.0.4430.72) the browser didn't allow the interaction between my yubikey and the my.1password.com website for some reason (also, I couldn't change which 2FA I wanted to use! That seems like a "feature" ;) ). So what I ended up doing is disabling the security key(s) for my account (from another signed-in device) and using the simple time-based code as 2FA to sign into the browser.

Turns out this was the problem! As soon as I managed to sign into the browser with my security code 2FA, I tried signing into my account in the app and instead of getting stuck in the sign-in screen, it asked me for a 2FA code & finished the sign-in process! I think the app was authenticating correctly but may not have support for security keys for some reason....? I confirmed that the security key was the problem because as soon as I signed out and re-added my security keys to my account as 2FA and tried to sign in to the app again it got stuck in the sign-in page with a rotating loading symbol at the bottom.

TL;DR I think the app (v7.7.4) is missing support for security keys!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @GenericChannel_2! First of all, I am glad to hear that you managed to get to the bottom of this :) I have also let the team know about your findings, to check if security keys could ultimately really be the culprit :)

This discussion has been closed.