Problems with 1Password and Chrome

cesarlopez
cesarlopez
Community Member
edited May 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

I've been a long time 1Password on Safari user but have experienced issues with Chrome for a long time. In addition, it appears that 1Password's own help tips lead me to two different Chrome extensions to use. This has been going on for a long time and I'm glad I'm not a regular Chrome/1Password user, that would be a nightmare. I usually use Safari, however, upon occasion I need to use Chrome (for example browser compatibility requirements). I used the help steps outlined by 1Password support, ensure Chrome is updated, 1Password updated (App Store version), quit and restart Chrome and Mac. The issue is compounded by the two variants of 1Password extensions that are available for Chrome:

• Chrome launcher extension
  • 1Password Manager extension
    Why are there two options, which one should be used, they seem to conflict with each other. This issue has been going on for a long time.
    Nevertheless, the issue is that 1Password will not work on Chrome. The basic support troubleshooting steps don't fix the issue. The extension options are confusing. Is there anyway that 1Password will ever work seamlessly on Chrome for Mac?
    Thanks for your support in advance.

1Password Version: 7.8.1
Extension Version: Unknown
OS Version: MacOS 11.2.3
Sync Type: Subscription

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cesarlopez!

I have read your post, but I am still not clear on what the issue actually is? What is not working exactly?

In the meantime, some details on the two password extensions we offer: 1Password in the browser is our latest version of the browser extension, designed to run entirely in the browser without the need to install the 1Password desktop app. You can read more about it here:

Get started with 1Password in your browser

The companion browser extension is our older browser extension, the one that required the 1Password app to be installed. Because 1Password in the browser is an exclusive for 1Password subscribers, you would use the older companion browser extension if you don't have a 1Password account, for example.

But ultimately, it is up to you which one you choose: if you have a 1Password Membership, I recommend giving 1Password in the browser a try :)

• cesarlopez
    cesarlopez
    Community Member

@ag_ana Thanks for the prompt response and I apologize for the lack of clarity. Ultimately, I found myself without 1Password working in Chrome again. It seems to be something that happens from time to time. I'm not sure if it's because the used extension becomes updated and no longer works with the version of Chrome I have installed, or if it's a more current version of Chrome (auto-updates) simply no longer working with 1Password. Nevertheless it's a process to reinstall the extension. Going to the Chrome Extension store, there's only one option for 1Password (the desktop option). I try installing that and Chrome simply gives me a message an alert that the extension cannot be installed. The alert appears at the top of the extension page as I try to install it. The frustrating part is that the extension button reads that it's installed, however, when clicking on the 1Password Menu Bar icon, the app shows the "Install the browser extension" message.

That triggers the troubleshooting process which I feel I always have to deal with with Chrome. After searching for help, 1Password's support pages end up leading me to the 1Password App, which I can't find in the Google extensions store so I can never remember how to get back there, which leads me to prefer the easy to find desktop option that doesn't work. The challenge is that this cycle happens repeatedly and I've been dealing with it for years with Chrome. I can never remember which version I'm suppose to use so I go through the chase of trying to figure it out. This last time I think I finally ended up attempting to install the 1Password App however, in Chrome, I couldn't paste the secret key from the 1Password Full App into the field in the browser. I finally gave up and figured it's just not designed to work since I always seem to experience challenges with 1Password and Chrome. It never feels easy or intuitive. And the fact that the 1Password (desktop) version doesn't install and work makes it confusing. I'm not sure how to circumvent the issue/problems that I have with the desktop version and Chrome, but I'd rather use the more appropriate one for my subscriber based account. I am going to try and reinstall the 1Password App extension now that I know that's the preferred version for my situation.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@cesarlopez:

I try installing that and Chrome simply gives me a message an alert that the extension cannot be installed. The alert appears at the top of the extension page as I try to install it.

Can you please post a screenshot of this error message? If the message is coming from Chrome rather than 1Password, and this happens to you regularly, it might be worth finding out if there is something in your Chrome configuration or your system that is causing some interference.

This last time I think I finally ended up attempting to install the 1Password App however, in Chrome, I couldn't paste the secret key from the 1Password Full App into the field in the browser.

This also suggests that there might be something going on with your Chrome installation: I have just tested it here in Chrome, and I was able to paste the Secret Key on the website.

For future reference, here is also the link to the newest 1Password in the browser extension, so you don't have to look for it again in the future:

Get started with 1Password in your browser

This discussion has been closed.