CLI packages available on Linux repositories

Options
mhalano
mhalano
Community Member

Could you make the 'op' CLI client available as a package in the Linux repositories (the same repositories created to host the 1Password for Linux)?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @mhalano!

Thank you for sharing your suggestion with us. Making the CLI easy to install is important. I can reassure you that we already have plans to make the CLI available as a Linux repository package. While I can't make any promises about timelines, I have shared your suggestion with the team.

In the meantime, I want to remind you (and anyone else reading this) that you can download the CLI binaries for FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and Linux directly. We also have a handy support article to help you get that set up.

• tedcowan
    tedcowan
    Community Member
    Options

I am interested in this feature.

My plan is to commission a Linux virtual private server, log into it and git a repo of scripts from github.com. One script installs all the necessary packages, including 1Password CLI. I then run another script that calls the CLI and builds another application using Docker that needs some credentials I have stored on 1Password. The app then runs.

Installing the CLI can be done by script but today I would get the same version each time. I would like to install a relatively current version of everything, which is why I would like to install from a Linux package repository. One way around this limitation today is to provide a constant link to the most current executable for Linux. The best way is to make a Linux package and install it in a package repository.

Any update on this request?

• Hello @tedcowan!

I like your suggestion of a "latest" download link for the command-line tool. I'll discuss that with the team for us to consider. ref: dev/b5/op#1364

As a workaround, you can use the op update command to download the latest version. You will need to pass the --directory <path> flag in order to make the command non-interactive, along with unzipping the downloaded file, making it executable, etc.

This discussion has been closed.