Template for custom icons – recommendation

Options
d_stone
d_stone
Community Member

I love the app and also the design. — Design is important. If it is harmonic, it is fun to work with an app.

There are some auto-loaded icons that are very pixelated. :-( So I started to create some icons myself (Affinity Designer, for example).

I was looking for an optimal template for that icons for the current versions of 1Password apps. What size should be used? Which distances to the edges are recommended?

Currently I have created a template that is 200x200 px. I try to center the content and keep a distance of 33 px to each side – so there is still a small margin to the frame in the view of an entry after insertion.

I have also read here in the forum about 512x512 and that 1Password then calculates them down to 128x128. Unfortunately, I have not found any official statements.

1Password Version: 7.8.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 11.3.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @d_stone!

I know that we typically try to work with 512x512 icons, so I don't believe they are then resized. Sometimes it's not possible to find icons of these size, so in that case we try to use at least 256*256 icons as the next option, and so on. I cannot see anything with regards to resizing.

• d_stone
    d_stone
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana

Thank you for the fast reply and feedback.

I will adapt my template to the 512x512. Since I have the icons mostly as vector, this is no problem.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good @d_stone, thank you!

By the way, I think we can manually add icons to our server too, so even other users would get the higher quality ones for these websites. If you feel like sharing, I can ask the team to take a look and upload them so they also automatically show up just by entering the website information to a Login item.

• d_stone
    d_stone
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana,
    that would be an idea for a service page of 1Password. Users can upload icons created according to a defined template. And this icons are released after a rating/approval. Released icons could be loaded manually or automatically.

My icons are not always related to web pages. I had now started to make it pretty for newer entries. As for https://www.werstreamt.es or for my cell phone PIN or an icon for the registration at the vaccination center or backup passwords etc.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the suggestion!

• d_stone
    d_stone
    Community Member
    Options

Affinity Designer Template: sorry it is not possible to upload this file

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@d_stone:

Did you try to upload something else in addition to the screenshot? Our forum software currently only accepts image files I am afraid.

• d_stone
    d_stone
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, the template file I created :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Got it, thank you for the confirmation @d_stone: if you would like, you can email it to us at support+forum@agilebits.com. Our designers can then take a look at it over there :)

• d_stone
    d_stone
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

@ag_ana The mail has been sent and includes a reference to this discussion ;)

#NEJ-36383-389

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I see it, thank you @d_stone!

ref: NEJ-36383-389

This discussion has been closed.