why do I need both "Personal" and "Primary" vaults? (Single person account)

Fredcritter
Fredcritter
Community Member

As the subject says, do I need both "Personal" and "Primary" vaults? I'm guessing that since I want to be able to use any new passwords on my iPhone as well as on my computer, I should always use "Primary".
Is there a reason to keep the "Personal"? Can they be merged? Etc.?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.8.2 (70802002)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:vaults

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Fredcritter!

We actually recommend deleting the Primary vault, and only using the Personal vault, which is the one stored on 1Password.com and syncs automatically. If you have items in the Primary vault which you don't have in the Personal vault, you can move them:

Move and copy items

And then remove the old Primary vault so you don't need to manage it anymore.

• Fredcritter
    Fredcritter
    Community Member

Hello and thanks, @ag_ana

One more quick question — if I move everything from Primary to Personal, will the process automatically sort out (and ignore!) the duplicates?
    Or do I need to compare them before moving them? If so, what would be the easiest way to do that?
    Thanks again!
    —Da Fredcritter

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Fredcritter:

One more quick question — if I move everything from Primary to Personal, will the process automatically sort out (and ignore!) the duplicates?

Unfortunately no, although you could try using the duplicate removal tool afterwards (Help menu > Tools > Clean Up Duplicate Items).

Or do I need to compare them before moving them? If so, what would be the easiest way to do that?

Moving only the ones which are not in the destination vault would be better. I could suggest trying to sort your items in your source vault by "Last Created" or "Last Modified", so the most recent ones would be on top.

• Fredcritter
    Fredcritter
    Community Member

@ag_ana:
    Thanks. I must confess that it's not exactly what I wanted to hear, but good information beats groping around in the dark every time.
    I appreciate your responses and your suggestions for "workarounds."

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @Fredcritter! Let us know how it goes, and if you have any questions along the way :)

This discussion has been closed.