Fedora packaging ((s)rpm) possible?

dklein
dklein
Community Member

Hi,

+1 for the cli tool. I would love to be able to use it on my Fedora linux systems. It seems that one has to download the executable from a website and manually make it available in $PATH. This conflicts with the software deployment and update facilities in Fedora. In order to create Fedora-policy-conform (s)rpm packages, I am missing a couple of infos:

• How is the op tool licensed?
  • Where is the source code hosted?

Thank you very much!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Fedora
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @dklein!

The command-line tool is not an open source application and does not have an open source licence. Similarly, we host the source code for the command-line tool internally.

Since this is a security product, though, we maintain safety through a combination of regular external security audits, hiring the best security developers we can possibly find, and cultivating a culture of ferociously protecting user data.

I hope that this answers your question, even if it may not be the answer that you're hoping for. Please let us know if you have any additional questions!

— Michael

• dklein
    dklein
    Community Member

Hi,

The command-line tool is not an open source application and does not have an open source licence. Similarly, we host the source code for the command-line tool internally.

Thank you, this answers my second question. Regarding my first question, are you saying your software has no license?

Since this is a security product, though, we maintain safety through a combination of regular external security audits, hiring the best security developers we can possibly find, and cultivating a culture of ferociously protecting user data.

Safety? To be honest, this paragraph makes me worry quite a lot, if I should continue using your products at all. :( What is it referring to?

All the best,
    Dennis

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @dklein ,

Regarding my first question, are you saying your software has no license?

Our software only works if you have an active account with us (which functions as a license to use our software). You cannot use the CLI without an active membership account in the form of an individual account, family account, business account or teams account. If you have such an account, then you have a license to use our products as you see fit with your license.

Safety? To be honest, this paragraph makes me worry quite a lot, if I should continue using your products at all. :( What is it referring to?

It sounded like you worry about the safety and security of our software as you were asking about where it was hosted, so Michael elaborated on how we keep our apps and software safe and secure to use.

This discussion has been closed.