Which extension and other questions?

Options
DanEpsPA
DanEpsPA
Community Member
edited May 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Thoroughly confused.

Running latest macOS 11.3.1 (and the app on iPhone).
Running 1Password 7.8.3 BETA-0 (70803000)

All of the following comments related to macOS.

In Chrome I see I have two 1-password extensions: 4.7.5.90. 1.24.2 .

I also have the 1password Mini running in the menu bar. When I click on that, it wants to keep installing an update into my browser: "Install the 1Password extension to fill passwords, credit cards, and addresses in Google Chrome."

If I answer in the affirmative it brings me to a page that reads as follows: Get the 1Password classic extension

I also run Safari and Firefox and want to use 1Password with them.

Safari extension: 1Password 7.8.3.BETA-0

Firefox extension: 1Password extension (desktop app required) Version 4.7.5.90

Can you please clarify what extensions I should have in each browser, why I have two in chrome at this point and how can I make this and all updates transparent in the future? I shouldn't need to think about this.

I've also noticed that it's really easy to insert passwords into Safari, but not into chrome. But I think I added a extension that now makes chrome as easy as safari has been for a few months.

PS I've been a long-time user and none of this has been very clear from the beginning. And I don't really want to have to think about it.

Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:4.7.5.90. 1.24.2

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @DanEpsPA ,

We currently offer two different extensions, which might be a bit confusing but we're definitely working on unifying the experience across the board, which would take a little longer. So for now, I'll explain the differences between them:

• "1Password in the browser", listed in your browser as "1Password - Password manager" and has a blue/white icon, is the latest extension we released. It provides an enhanced autofilling workflow by showing up inside fillable fields in websites you visit, making it really easy to autofill, save new logins, generate passwords and more. This extension does not connect to the 1Password desktop app yet (but it does in its beta version, if you'd like to try it), so that means you must unlock it every time you open the browser in order for it to be able to autofill and suggest proper actions. You can learn more about it here: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/

• "1Password Classic", listed in your browser as "1Password extension (desktop app required)" is our good old companion extension that connects to the 1Password desktop app and allows it to interact with your browser. In order to utilize it you will have to directly click its icon in your browser's toolbar or use the desktop app's shortcut CMD+\ (Command + Backslash). It does not show up inside fillable fields on its own. You can get 1Password Classic for your browsers here: https://support.1password.com/cs/1password-classic-extension/

If you use the newer 1Password in the browser, then your workflow should start and end in the browser itself. Do not try to use the desktop app or the mini icon in your Mac's menu bar since they both belong to the desktop app which does not connect to the newer extension. If you'd like to have them connected, this feature is currently in beta and you can install it from here: https://support.1password.com/betas/

Safari is a unique browser as it has some stricter rules and better integration to the operating system, so it has its own extension that is automatically installed when you install the 1Password desktop app. It is not possible (yet) to install any extension separately from its desktop app, so the Safari extension enjoys both worlds - integration with the desktop app and the inline menu that shows up inside fillable fields.

I hope that clarifies the situation. Hopefully things will be a lot simpler once we're done with this transition period and release everything in stable :)

• DanEpsPA
    DanEpsPA
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. It is an enormous pain having to log in each time I close my browser. I do find the enhanced autofilling, as I have grown accustomed to in safari, to be a very nice feature in chrome.

If I do not use 1password in firefox, and use the beta "1Password in the browser" in chrome, and the built-in safari which I assume is also "1Password in the browser" -- what, if anything, can I remove from my macbook? 1password mini (how?)? The 1Password 7 app?

In addition, what I just discovered is -- even if I do not close chrome, 1password times out and I have to log in again with my master password. I thought it was only if I close chrome that I need to login again (CMD Shift X), but no, it is requiring master password in browser already logged in to 1Password. Frustrating.

Suggestions?

Thanks again.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @DanEpsPA ,

You don't need to remove anything from your Mac. The 1Password extension is necessary in the browser, and the desktop app is necessary to keep it unlocked (assuming you are using the beta versions of both and have them integrated). If you want, you can hide 1Password's mini icon in your Mac's menu bar (where the clock is) via the desktop app's preferences, but nothing needs to be removed.

If you do not have the beta extension in Chrome integrated with the beta desktop app, then the extension will work in standalone mode and will have its own settings and auto-lock timer, which you can adjust:

1. Open Chrome.
    2. Right click the 1Password icon on the top right corner of Chrome's toolbar and select "Settings".
    3. In the settings page, adjust the auto-lock timer as you see fit (or turn it off).
  • Auslaßventil
    Auslaßventil
    Community Member
    Options

With the new 1password in Browser extension: Is the Desktop-App even needed for that to work ?
    I started to ask myself if i need the Desktop app, hmmmm.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Auslaßventil ,

As mentioned above, if you have the extension integrated with the desktop app (in beta), you'll need to keep the desktop app.
    If you do not have them integrated then you can remove the desktop app if you'd like to, but I personally like to have the desktop app around because there are things that are easier to do/perform in the desktop app than in the web app, such as editing items, mass moving/deleting items etc.

Managing your 1Password via the desktop app is definitely easier and less restricted than the web app (which the extension points to if you want to edit something etc).

This discussion has been closed.