Chrome recently will not open links in email unless 1Password extension is disabled

jasimon9
jasimon9
Community Member
edited May 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

This problem has occurred before, but it seems to be worse now. Chrome stops opening links in email. The workaround is to temporarily disable all extensions, including 1P, clearing cache and cookies and restarting the browser.

After doing this, links again work. 1P extension can be re-enabled, and links work again for a while.

1Password Version: 7.8.1
Extension Version: 1.24.2
OS Version: 10.15.7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @jasimon9 ,

Where exactly are you opening links in emails? In Gmail?
    And were you able to confirm this is 1Password related (e.g. disable ONLY 1Password and see if it works)? Or did you only test it by disabling all of your extensions and clearing cache?

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

Mainly in MacOS Mail. I had disabled all other extensions and it was still a problem. Then when I disabled 1P, it worked.

To be frank, I don't think this is a 1P problem, but a Chrome problem. The same problem was occurring in Brave, and was probably the main reason why I abandoned Brave, along with Brave just is not robust in other ways.

In any case I think it is a Chrome problem. But since it appears like 1P is the proximal cause, I thought I would report it. The root cause is likely Chrome.

Hope this helps!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the additional info @jasimon9 ,

I have the exact same setup as you (Mac OSX 10.15.7), using Apple Mail on a daily basis and Brave & Chrome are my daily use browsers. I have multiple 1Password extensions (and other extensions) installed and have never encountered the issue you are describing.

Does the issue occur if you create a new user profile in Chrome or Brave? Does it persists even if you restart the computer?
    If you can provide me a step-by-step instructions on how to reproduce it on demand (e.g. 100% success rate at reproducing it) and I would be able to reproduce it here it might be of great help.

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

@ag_yaron: If you don't mind my asking, what utility do you find in Brave that is missing from Chrome? I used Brave on a trial basis some time back but didn't find its features particularly compelling. Am I missing something?

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

You must not be asking me because as I stated, I had abandoned Brave some time back due to lack or robustness.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

@williakz I like have a more privacy oriented browser than Chrome, but I don't like Firefox's interface so Brave is right there in the middle.

The built-in Brave shield is also quite useful for blocking ads, tracking and more, and it is easy to turn off when needed (if a website fails to load due to the shield, for example).

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

Thanks, @ag_yaron, I figured it had to do with privacy. You 1Password folk ALWAYS have security in mind.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

:chuffed: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.