Syncing 2 Macs via dropbox: connected one does not push changes

Hello,

I've been using dropbox to sync between iphone and a Mac I have (say Mac1). Yesterday I tried to also connect another Mac I have (say Mac 2) to the same 1password.agilekeychain as suggested, by double-clicking on the file in the dropbox folder and clicking 'Replace'.

Subsequently I have found that changes from Mac2 are not synced via dropbox and Mac1 and that the file hasn't been touched for a week. Also Mac2 says in preferences that my data is stored in '/Users/<user>/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Documents/Ppassword.agilekeychain'.

This doesn't seem to be normal behavior. Can you please help me?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2012
    Welcome to the forums, ikalafatis. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

For Dropbox syncing to work, you will need to be using the same data file on both/all machines. The second Mac is obviously using a local data file rather than the one in your Dropbox folder that the first Mac is using.

Try this:

1. Quit 1Password.
    2. In Finder, select Go > Go to Folder from the menu bar. Copy and paste the following path into the input box and then press Return:

~/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Documents/

3. Move the data file you see there to your Desktop
    4. Open 1Password.

If there is a data file in your Dropbox folder, you should be prompted to use it. If you are not prompted, could you tell me what the path to your data file is in 1Password's preferences on the first Mac? If you are using 1Password 3.9 from the Mac App Store, the path needs to be exactly:

~/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

Where the tilde "~" represents your Home folder.
  • Moving the file did the trick. Wasn't even prompted but preferences suggests Dropbox file is used. Thanks Khad.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Great! Thanks for updating the thread to let me know. :D

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!
  • Hy there,

I have the same problem over here.
    After following the instructions i can point to the file on dropbox.

So far, so good.

But right after importing everything, when I switch to the settings, the file is located here:
    Macintosh HD:Users:username:Library:Containers:com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper:Data:Documents:1Password.agilekeychain

And the field "use dropbox" is greyed out.

Strangley this keeps happening on my MacBook Pro, but on my iMac I can use the file in the dropbox folder.

Any suggestions?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2012
    Welcome to the forums, viellieb! I'm sorry that you are also having some trouble. Let's see if we can get this resolved for you as quickly as it was for ikalafatis. :)

Where is your Dropbox folder located on your MacBook Pro? It needs to be in the default location:

/Users/[yourusername]/Dropbox

If it is in the default location, my instructions above should work for you.

On your MacBook Pro:

1. Quit 1Password.
    2. In Finder, select Go > Go to Folder from the menu bar. Copy and paste the following path into the input box and then press Return:

~/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Documents/

3. Move the data file you see there to your Desktop
    4. Open 1Password.

If there is a data file in your Dropbox folder, you should be prompted to use it. If you are not prompted, could you tell me what the path to your data file is in 1Password's preferences on your iMac? If you are using 1Password 3.9 from the Mac App Store, the path needs to be exactly:

~/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

Where the tilde "~" represents your Home folder.

If you're still having trouble, could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

Since you are using 1Password 3.9 (from the Mac App Store), you'll need to follow the instructions here:

http://support.agile...lebits-help-you

Then attach the entire file to an email to support AT agilebits.com.

Please include a link to this thread in order that we might more quickly "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, though.
  • Hy Khad,

Thank you for your quick response and your help.
    Moving my dropbox folder on my MacBook Pro to it's default location (= the same location as on my iMac) did the trick!

I'm impressed of the awesome support! Thanks again!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for updating the thread to let me know everything is working well! I really appreciate the kind words, too. :)

Let me know if you ever need anything else.

Cheers,
This discussion has been closed.