Problems adding 1Password 7 to existing 1Passowrd 6 system

notMyUserName
notMyUserName
Community Member
edited May 2021 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Greetings,

I have used 1Password for a very long time (since version 2 or 3 I think) on Macs and Android. Because of the age of one of the Macs I am still using 1Passowrd6. My keys are stored on Dropbox. This has worked fine forever. I recently added a Windows 10 system and downloaded and installed 1Passowrd 7 for it along with the Brave plugin. This has not gone well at all.

I was able to get the 1Password 7 Windows app itself to use the keys stored on Dropbox but it states in a yellow warning box that "1Password is read-only" with a green buy now button. This is useless. I went through the signup process, providing my credit card number, when I downloaded the app and it was my understanding that there was a two week trial period anyway.

The Brave plugin (aside from disabling Brave's built-in password management) doesn't work at all. It doesn't seem to be reading the key file on Dropbox and shows no passwords at all. If there is a way to configure this it isn't obvious to me.

How do I get it working right in an environment with 1Passowrd6 on Macs and keys stored on Dropbox (I am not interested in trying to migrate the keys to 1Password storage as the way it is works fine now and I do not want to try to change the way that a bunch of other devices access the keys - the last time I did that things went really wrong).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @notMyUserName!

I was able to get the 1Password 7 Windows app itself to use the keys stored on Dropbox but it states in a yellow warning box that "1Password is read-only" with a green buy now button.

Have you added your 1Password account to the 1Password for Windows app to activate it?

The Brave plugin (aside from disabling Brave's built-in password management) doesn't work at all. It doesn't seem to be reading the key file on Dropbox and shows no passwords at all. If there is a way to configure this it isn't obvious to me.

What version of the Brave plugin have you installed?

• notMyUserName
    notMyUserName
    Community Member
    edited May 2021

I think I've done all that. I downloaded the 1Password Windows app that way and installed it. I do remember it asking me either at install or initial start up something like whether I wanted to use an agile keychain (I think) and I pointed it towards my existing keychain on Dropbox. I do see everything I'd expect to see in the 1Password Windows app (all my existing passwords) but it says that 1Password is read-only.

I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling the Windows app.

The brave plugin is version 1.24.2.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@notMyUserName:

I think I've done all that.

If you go inside 1Password Settings > Accounts, do you see your account there? From what you are saying, it sounds like you did not add it, and only pointed your app to your Dropbox data instead.

The brave plugin is version 1.24.2.

Can you please download the classic extension and see if that works for you?

Get the 1Password classic extension

The classic extension can see also vaults in Dropbox, unlike the new extension which you installed, which can only see 1Password.com vaults.

• notMyUserName
    notMyUserName
    Community Member

Thanks. I've been busy and haven't had time to work on this. I should be able to get to it tomorrow of Friday and will do what you suggest.

• Sounds like a plan. :)

• notMyUserName
    notMyUserName
    Community Member

Both of those suggestions seemed to have worked. Thank you.

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2021

Outstanding. On behalf of Ana, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.