1Password’s Safari share extension no longer works on iPad when creating new logins

scotty321
scotty321
Community Member
edited May 2021 in iOS

MAJOR BUG IN 1Password:

1Password’s Safari share extension for iPad no longer works when trying to create a new login!

This has been a major problem for several weeks now, and 1Password still hasn’t fixed this problem!

If you try to create a new login by using the Safari share extension on iPad, it is impossible to do so because 1Password PREVENTS THE KEYBOARD FEOM BEING DISPLAYED so you can’t actually create the new login at all. The keyboard is required to type in the login name & the username. But the keyboard is always suppressed by 1Password.

This may also be a problem on the iPhone as well.

I’ve also noticed that the vast majority of 1Password employees who try to respond in these forums don’t even own iPads or Apple devices, and they rarely take the time to test things out that users report. So please don’t respond here unless you actually own an iPad and have tested this out on an iPad. This major bug is reproducible 100% of the time, even after a restart of the device. It has been going on for weeks, and I’m surprised that nobody has fixed this yet.

1Password Version: 7.7.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iPadOS 14.5.1, and same bug probably exists in iOS
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• @scotty321

We make a call to iOS to display the keyboard. If it is not being shown that would seem to be an iOS issue that needs to be resolved. Do you experience the same behavior using password autofill? You can also create a new login using it. If not, that may be a suitable alternative. We are not suppressing the keyboard.

Use 1Password to fill and save on your iPhone and iPad

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2021

@scotty321

Yes, I have an iPad, and I was offering a workaround that might work for you. Thank you for your report.

Edit:

Can you please escalate this to the 1Password engineering team?

Done. Thanks again for the report.

ref: dev/apple/issues#5346

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @scotty321 !

I just tried to reproduce your issue on my iPad (7. Gen, 2019) with iPadOS 14.5.1 and 1Password app 7.7.3 in Safari browser. I don't have problems on your desired website here. The keyboard pops up, and I'm able to create a login. It works in both cases - autofill and share button.

Also, it works on my iPhone 12 Pro Max with iOS 14.5.1 and 1Password app 1Password app 7.7.3 in Safari browser. But here I had to try more times! It seems to be a random game. Sometimes the keyboard pops up, and sometimes it doesn't.

On iPad it works on every try. Strange thing...

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @scotty321 !

For me, I can NEVER get the keyboard to pop up ever.

Maybe a dumb question, but are you using a 3rd party keyboard app?

• @scotty321

From this topic a user mentioned the same thing and restarted their device along with force quitting Safari. Doe that help? https://1password.community/discussion/115843/error-loading-the-1password-extension

The next time you see this problem please note the date & time, then I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/120900/major-bug-1password-s-safari-share-extension-no-longer-works-on-ipad-when-creating-new-logins
    • Your forum username: scotty321
    • Date and time you experienced the issue.

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.
      The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited May 2021

Hey @scotty321 !

If TouchID is enabled in 1Password’s security settings, the keyboard fails to show up 100% of the time.

Great that you found this out! On my iPhone I'm using FaceID and on my iPad I'm using a PIN code to unlock 1Password.
    But after disabling the PIN code and enabling TouchID the keyboard still pops up... So there's no problem on my iPad with TouchID enabled. :(

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hopefully the devs are able to reproduce this bug and fix it...

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Turn on “lock on exit” in the app’s security settings

This setting is enabled on all of my devices. Sorry... :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The "lock on exit" setting and others of 1Password's apply only to 1Password itself. It's not something that's used by the OS.

I've got both Touch ID and Face ID devices here, but only encountered the keyboard issue occasionally previously, and updating seems to have resolved it -- restarting helped at the time though.

Either way, both the keyboard and biometrics are handled solely by the OS and hardware, so they aren't things 1Password or any other 3rd party app or its developers have control over. We'll continue to look into it though and share any findings with Apple. I'll close this discussion to avoid further duplication of effort since we're investigating this via email already. Thank you! :)

This discussion has been closed.