Version 1.25.6 will not work if a Chrome update is pending

Hi guys,

major regression in version 1.25.6. Guess it's related to the new desktop integration? If a Chrome update is pending, the browser extension cannot be unlocked. It immediately locks itself again. Which makes it completely unusable.

Not everybody can immediately update Chrome (think corporate environments with centrally managed software repository, for example). Some people also have tons of Chrome windows and tabs open with unfinished work, preventing a Chrome restart to update.

I consider this a bug. Please fix.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.25.6
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Nhat_Nguyen
    edited May 2021

Hello @cryptochrome, If your browser has a pending update, The 1Password app can't connect with the 1Password in your browser and unlock it for you. In case you don't want to resolve the pending update now, you can disable the app integration by right-clicking the 1Password icon in Chrome's toolbar > Settings > General > Turn off the "Integrate with 1Password app."

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member

The thing is, @Nhat_Nguyen - I can't unlock the browser extension anymore at all. I am not trying to unlock it through the desktop app, I am trying to unlock it in the browser. When I enter my master password there, it briefly unlocks but immediately goes back to being locked (takes maybe 3-4 seconds).

This is probably not what you intended.

• Hey @cryptochrome. Could you please save a console log for 1Password in your browser, and email it to support+extensions@1password.com with a link back to this post so we can take a closer look?

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member

Done, and thank you.

• Thank you, @cryptochrome. We'll take a look. :smile:

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member

Now that a new Chrome update is available that I haven't installed yet, 1P is acting up in a new way:

Load Screen of Death...

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the followup @cryptochrome .

We have some improvements coming that should help with this particular situation by timing out quicker.
    A pending update in Chrome will break the integration due to the code signatures change that occur when an update is pending, so a relaunch to the browser is necessary to complete the update and allow 1Password to read the proper code signatures.

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member

Hey @ag_yaron - the thing is, I turned the integration off in the settings the last time I had a problem and it's still turned off. Yet this problem still occurred again.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for clarifying @cryptochrome .

Have you tried quitting the browser completely and relaunching it? Or alternatively, disable the extension and re-enable it?
    Something should release it from this loop :)

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member

Dis- and re-enabling the extension helped in that case.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Great. Let us know if you encounter the issue again after the next update.

This discussion has been closed.