Temporarily removing Desktop App Integration

Comments

• mcnahum
    mcnahum
    Community Member

Thanks for the tip ... I just had to do a little more and copy both 1Password json to the Edge Canary forder to have it working

2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password.json & com.1password.1password7.json

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

For confirmation, are things working for you also in Chrome Canary after moving those files @mcnahum!

• mcnahum
    mcnahum
    Community Member
    edited May 2021

It's working on Edge Canary ... so probably chrome too but I now almost gave up on Chrome, Edge for mac is really good ...

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update @mcnahum !
    And yes, Edge is pretty good right now :)

• ramblingpolak
    ramblingpolak
    Community Member

Very happy to see this come back!! What's the best way to report issues we encounter through testing?

(e.g. in Firefox, edit item no longer opens 1Password in the browser and instead tries to open 1Password for mac, but doesnt take you to the correct item or edit screen).

• MikeT
    edited May 2021

Hi @ramblingpolak,

What's the best way to report issues we encounter through testing?

You're already doing it, you can file new bug reports by creating a new thread here. We are collaborating between multiple teams in real time regarding this browser integration support. If your issue is found to be related to a specific platform, it'll be passed on to the platform team that'll work on it.

(e.g. in Firefox, edit item no longer opens 1Password in the browser and instead tries to open 1Password for mac, but doesnt take you to the correct item or edit screen).

That's being worked on as we speak; 1Password in extension now knows how to send the data to the desktop apps but the desktop apps have not yet been updated to show you the requested item. Stay tuned for that.

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member

Working brilliantly here so far, apart from the bug mentioned by @ramblingpolak above.

Thanks for your hard work!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

We're glad to hear it @rctneil :)

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    edited May 2021

I'm not sure if the issue I'm reporting here is or is not associated with browser integration. The issue is: my 1Password extension in Firefox now blinks, but does not work. I've restarted my computer. I've turned the 1P extension in Firefox OFF and back ON. Nothing seems affect it. I need help here...

1Password 7
    Version 7.8.2 (70802002)
    1Password Store

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @AMCarter3 ,

Please make sure that Firefox is set to remember history, then relaunch it and see if 1Password works properly.

@Samplex Currently functions such as Open & Fill and Edit (both of which relate to the desktop app integration) are not supported yet, but I believe they'll be added in the next beta update or two.

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member

Hi,

Why when using the newly updated extension and clicking the icon in an input field on a website (when 1Password is locked) do I get the small popup by the box that asks me to press a key combination to unlock the vault? I'm sure there used to just be a large button that would allow a single click, to activate the extension so you could authenticate with your master password?

Surely the keyboard combination should be an alternative to a clickable button?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@rctneil:

I'm sure there used to just be a large button that would allow a single click, to activate the extension so you could authenticate with your master password?

I have just tested the previous stable version of the extension, and I confirm that things looked the same before: you did get the Master Password prompt if you clicked directly on the browser extension button, but you were prompted to use the keyboard shortcut if directly inside a form field (like in your screenshot).

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

@rctneil What Ana wrote is correct for the stable version of the extension which does not connect to the desktop app.

If you use the beta and have it integrated with the desktop app, there will be a big "Unlock 1Password" button in that inline menu instead of asking you to press a shortcut.

• terecned
    terecned
    Community Member

I am running the beta and managed it working. All I have to say to everyone who worked on this...THANK YOU SO MUCH!
    I have been so frustrated that this key feature has been missing for so long. Went it started working again, it really made my day
    P.S. Don't you dare take it back LOL

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of the whole team, you are welcome @terecned! And thank you for the kind words :)

• roro1
    roro1
    Community Member
    edited May 2021

Hello, I am running Firefox on Windows and beta version 1.25.6 of the browser extension along with 7.6.801 desktop app. Howover, I do not see the option to "integrate with desktop app" that keeps getting mentioned in the browser extension settings. Any ideas?

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @roro1!

I am running Firefox on Windows

Which version of Firefox are you running? I'm running v88.0.1 and 1Password in the browser 1.25.6 and that's how it looks like in the settings of my extension.

• roro1
    roro1
    Community Member

Hi @DenalB

I am using the same Firefox version. The "Integrate with 1Password app" is not showing up.
    https://imgur.com/h1FlY8u

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @roro1 ,

Make sure that your desktop app is set to update from the beta channel in the app's settings, then relaunch both 1Password and the browser, see if the integration feature shows up.

• anprieto
    anprieto
    Community Member
    edited May 2021

Wow, at last we have the new features of 1passwordX with touch ID in Mac. Thanks! And it works with webs like www.iberia.com (it didn't before). Thanks for this!

I have found 2 problems, hopefully you can help:

1) It doesn't work for me in onedrive: https://onedrive.live.com/about/es-es/signin/
    I open 1p mini select the account and nothing happens.
    It didn't with the old extension either. I have seen it work on other computers, so it must be something in mine.
    Can you let me know how to solve this?

2) Combination of keys to open 1P mini: I'm used to CMD + SHIFT + ç
    This is a key in the Spanish keyboard). But I cannot now. Is it possible to bring it back?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2021

Hey @anprieto ,
    We're glad to hear things are improving for you :)

I saw the issue on the Spanish version of Microsoft's login page, we will fix this internally and hopefully you'll see improvements in several updates.
    As for the keyboard shortcut, you can try and set it up again in the extension's settings:

1. Right click the 1Password icon on the top right corner of your browser and select "Settings".
    2. Scroll down to the Shortcuts section and edit the shortcuts as you see fit. If the shortcut already exists there, remove it and re-apply it.
    3. Close the page, open a new tab and see if the shortcut works. If not, then try setting up a different shortcut.

ref: dev/core/core#7529

• anprieto
    anprieto
    Community Member

Thanks for taking care @ag_yaron

Regarding the shortcut: I did that, the problem is that I cannot enter that particular combination using "ç" key.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

@anprieto Did this shortcut work with 1Password in the browser previously in the past?

• anprieto
    anprieto
    Community Member

Yes

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

@anprieto I'm testing this now on multiple browsers and they don't seem to accept this character at all, regardless of 1Password.

When I attempt to apply this keyboard shortcut in the 1Password 7 desktop app, I get a warning that this shortcut is already in use by the operating system.
    Not sure how you used it before but it doesn't seem like a valid character to use in shortcuts in the browser. We haven't changed how shortcuts work either as far as I can recall.

If you install the stable version of 1Password in the browser, are you able to use that shortcut there?

• anprieto
    anprieto
    Community Member

Hi, well: I have been using this for years in password mini, both in windows and mac.
    I have migrated to both 1P beta and chrome extension beta and it does not work on mini. I think it does on 1P (not mini).

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

@anprieto We need to distinguish between 1Password in the browser and 1Password mini (which belongs to the desktop app).
    The desktop app can indeed work with this character (although it seems like it is already being used on my system so it won't let me), but browsers don't seem to accept that character as a valid key for shortcuts.

You may have been using this key previously with the desktop app and 1Password Classic, but not with 1Password in the browser (previously known as 1Password X).
    Does that sound like what might be happening here?

• anprieto
    anprieto
    Community Member

It may be that. This is what I understand:

1) Until now I have been using classic browser extension with normal 1password desktop. The Extension opened 1password mini, which I could use with cmd+shift+Ç because it is not an "extension in the browser". Although it actually works with the browser, because it fills passwords in webs....

2) Now, the new beta extension is an "extension in the browser" and thus it cannot use Ç key.
    I can use Ç to open 1P desktop, but it's not useful for filling in passwords in webs

So, the technology for the extension has changed and there is no way to solve this,

Is this accurate?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

@anprieto That's correct for the most part. The classic extension is a mediator that allows the destkop app to actually do the autofilling in your browser, while 1Password in the browser is its own independent app in your browser that does the autofilling without the desktop app's help.

The main issue here is that the browsers do not allow this character to be used in shortcuts, and 1Password in the browser relies on the browser's APIs and restrictions for such things.

We do plan on allowing the desktop app's shortcut to work with 1Password in the browser, but that is still being investigated and tested to see if it is possible to implement and will work reliably, so I can't tell for sure whether this will be possible or not.

This discussion has been closed.