Diff imports from other PW manager

Options

We have deployed 1Password for some users that were using Dashlane. The Dashlane users initially imported their pwds into 1Password and have been using 1Password for some time. However, due to certain circumstances they have continued to also use Dashlane during the testing period and have subsequently added new logins as well as updated pwds in Dashlane.

My question is when we decide to do a final move of all user accounts over to 1Password, can those users that may have pwds out of sync between Dashlane and 1Password do a diff import or will it perform a duplicate import ?

1Password Version: 7.6.801
Extension Version: 1.24.2
OS Version: Win10Pro
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_max
    Options

Hi @jamesherrington

Welcome to the 1Password Support Community. The import tool on 1Password.com is primarily intended for a one-time migration from another password manager to 1Password. As such, it does not currently check for any existing data currently in your account or prevent duplicates. If you or your team members do opt to import your updated Dashlane data a second time, this will create duplicates that will need to be dealt with.

If some of your team members only initially imported their data into 1Password and made no edits or new items in 1Password, they could purge their Private vaults' contents by deleting those items within the desktop applications. This would then allow them to import their newer data from Dashlane.

Otherwise, your team may find it easier in the long to run to manually edit any existing Login items and create new ones for the missing items in 1Password. You can also use 1Password in your browser to quickly save that login information when you visit those websites and log in:

Get started with 1Password in your browser

I hope one of the above solutions works for your team. And if there is anything else that I can do to help, let me know.

• jamesherrington
    jamesherrington
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response.

It would be nice to have the import process check for the existence of duplicates and then prompt for the option to either import or skip that specific login. Alternatively I may be able to check on the updated time stamp within each PW management app and see if we can discern between the latest updated password.

• ag_max
    edited May 2021
    Options

@jamesherrington

I'm going to pass on your helpful feedback to our team for consideration and file an issue in our database for tracking purposes. I can certainly see the utility of a duplicate check step during the import process. Thanks for taking the time to bring this up.

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#696

This discussion has been closed.