update 7.8.1 -> 7.8.2 blocked by old 1p version on mounted clone drive, no way to ignore/proceed

Options
dmkahn
dmkahn
Community Member
edited May 2021 in Mac

I guess the installer is now pedantic when it finds an older version of 1p on your system, and I was blocked from proceeding with the upgrade from 7.8.1 to 7.8.2 until I removed the older entry on an older system's (now inoperable) clone drive I had mounted. That old version is not used on this system and should not have blocked me from upgrading the installed version to 7.8.2, yet there was no way to ignore or proceed. I suppose I could have unmounted that drive, but that shouldn't be necessary.

I think it would be better to allow the user to ignore the older versions, perhaps with a warning if you believe that to be necessary. Deleting the old version from a clone drive is the complete opposite of the right thing.

-David

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @dmkahn

The comments here may help explain the behavior:

A bug in the 6.8 update installer — 1Password Support Community

Unfortunately I don't imagine this is going to change — the issue has been persistent in launchd for quite some time. The recommended approach is to either exclude the 1Password app from clones (the data can still be cloned), or to unmount any non-boot volumes when updating.

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.