Auto-fill VPN in gnome

Options
francislavoie
francislavoie
Community Member
edited May 2021 in Linux

Probably my most frequently manually filled password these days is the VPN credentials, for OpenVPN, i.e. via the built-in interface in Gnome.

Since OpenVPN doesn't support 2FA out of the box, we have a setup where we append the TOTP code to the end of the password, and sessions are only valid for 24 hours, so every morning, I need to refill both passwords (private key password, and account password + TOTP)

I would love to hear if there's a way for the new Linux app (just installed it, looks great!) can fill this in a more automated manner.

1Password Version: Linux 8.0.34
Extension Version: Firefox 1.24.2
OS Version: Ubuntu 20.10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey there @francislavoie, welcome to the 1Password Support Community! 🎉

That's a great question! The 1Password app for Linux supports drag-and-drop - I would suggest calling up 1Password with the keyboard shortcut (Ctrl + Shift + backslash), and then drag-dropping your credentials into the OpenVPN window. :smile:

• francislavoie
    francislavoie
    Community Member
    Options

Ooh that's fun. Good tip!

Thanks for mentioning the Ctrl+Shift+\ shortcut, I hadn't noticed the (?) help bubble. Maybe putting the keyboard shortcuts thing under the top-left menu (i.e. both?) might make it easier to find.

• @francoislavoie

Thanks for the feedback! I'll bring it up to the team to see how we can make the shortcuts a little easier to track down. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help! :smile:

This discussion has been closed.