How to change the UI language

monique_live
monique_live
Community Member

Hi, first of all THANK YOU for releasing the Linux version! Very good stuff.
In order to make the experience even better I'd like to address an issue I noticed:

When I go to Settings > Region & Language, my system Language is set to English (US) and Formats are set to Brazil.

I believe since the field Language is set to English then the 1Password native client UI should also be displayed in English (as it works for all the other apps), right?

Thank you in advance.
- M

1Password Version: 8.0.34
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: PopOS 20.10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• leandrojmp
    leandrojmp
    Community Member

I'm having the same problem, the solution in my case was to add OP_LOCALE=en_us to the /etc/environment file and login again.

The original topic where the solution was proposed is here: https://1password.community/discussion/120950/how-to-change-language#latest

• Blake
    edited May 2021

Thanks for sharing @leandrojmp 🤝

Let us know if that works for you @monique_live!

• monique_live
    monique_live
    Community Member

Hi, thanks for the feedback guys!

I assumed that the prefix OP in OP_LOCALE would refer to "One Password", so instead of setting this env var globally I limited its consequences:

Now it's working correctly, even though I still believe 1Password GUI should get the system's LANGUAGE or LANG env vars in order to choose its UI translation.

Thanks again, I love the new app!

• Erik_1P
    Erik_1P
    1Password Alumni

@moniquelive thank you for your reply. You are correct, the UI language should follow the LANG and LC* and not LOCALE environment variable. An oversight on our part. I've created an issue to have this corrected in a future update.

This discussion has been closed.