How to change Language

leandrojmp
leandrojmp
Community Member

Hello,

I've just installed the native Linux app and I can't find a setting to change the language.

My native language is Brazilian Portuguese (pt_BR), but I use all my systems in English for learning/practice, my system language is set to English, but the format for numbers, dates and everything else is set to pt_BR.

Does the app get it from one of the locales? Is there any way to change the language at this moment?

This is my current locale

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE=pt_BR.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC=pt_BR.UTF-8
LC_TIME=pt_BR.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY=pt_BR.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER=pt_BR.UTF-8
LC_NAME=pt_BR.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=pt_BR.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=pt_BR.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=pt_BR.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=pt_BR.UTF-8
LC_ALL=

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Thanks for writing in @leandrojmp . Please try setting LANG=pt_BR.UTF-8. That should be the key one that triggers it.

• leandrojmp
    leandrojmp
    Community Member
    edited May 2021

Hello,

Sorry, I didn't explain the problem correctly.

I do not want to change the language to pt_BR, the app is already in pt_BR, I want to change the language to en_US, which is the language of the system, pt_BR is only used to format numbers and dates.

LANG is already set to en_US.UTF-8, as this is the language of the system, but the app didn't get the locale from this variable.

This is in the logs:

INFO  2021-05-18T11:33:01.325 ThreadId(10) [1P:op-localization/src/lib.rs:154] system locale detected as 'pt_BR'
    INFO  2021-05-18T11:33:01.325 ThreadId(10) [1P:op-localization/src/lib.rs:180] selected translations for PT_BR based on detected locale pt-BR

I think It should have got the locale from the system language, but it got from somewhere else.

• ag_maryam
    edited May 2021

Thanks for writing in @leandrojmp . Would you please try setting LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8.

• leandrojmp
    leandrojmp
    Community Member

Hello @ag_maryam, it works only if I open a terminal, export LC_CTYPE and start 1password from the same terminal with 1password.

I tried to export it in my profile (.bashrc) and logout and put in /etc/default/locale and reboot and none of them worked.

Don't know from where it is getting the variable.

• Thank you for your respond @leandrojmp , I have asked my colleagues and they suggested to override your system locale using the environment variable OP_LOCALE=en-us

• leandrojmp
    leandrojmp
    Community Member

Hello @ag_maryam, it worked.

I needed to add OP_LOCALE=en_us to the file /etc/environment and login again, after that the UI language was in English.

• Interesting! Would you mind sharing what OS that you are using? I've actually not seen that file before. My NixOS machine doesn't have it at all, but my Fedora machine has an empty file there.

• leandrojmp
    leandrojmp
    Community Member

I'm on Ubuntu 20.10, I think that /etc/environment is common in Debian based systems, but for what I know it is deprecated (but still works).

It would be nice to have the option to change the language from an UI setting.

• Adding a language configuration options is certainly on the list of things for us to do, it just didn't quite make it into the Stable release.

I'm glad to hear you were ultimately able to get things working properly. Sorry for the headache!

• Erik_1P
    Erik_1P
    1Password Alumni

I had a look into this and we aren't using the locale related environment variables correctly. I've created an issue to fix it and conform to _POSIX _.

The workaround is as @leandrojmp shows until we have a fix. Apologies for the oversight.

This discussion has been closed.