I have an unknown account showing up on my Mac

Options
m1mbp
m1mbp
Community Member

I downloaded 1Password from the Mac App Store. I had iCloud sync on, but as soon as I opened the app I was presented to enter a password for an account that wasn't mine. I put in my 1Password master password multiple times, thinking that I has just made a typo. However this wasn't the case, and a password hint came up. The problem is, I never even set up a hint. So now I know this account is clearly not mine. I then tried to find the option to change to a different account, but the app told me that I need to log in to do that. How am I supposed to log in if it's not even my account? Now I'm stuck with 1Password set to an account that I don't know, and I can't get rid of it, so I basically have a useless app on my Mac. What puzzles me even more is that when I downloaded the app from the site, it worked really well. So I just want you guys to answer these questions if you can; 1. Where did this account come from?, 2. Why can't I get rid of it?, and 3. Why does this only happen on the App Store version? I would appreciate your help.

1Password Version: 7.8.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.3.1 Big Sur
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @m1mbp!

I had iCloud sync on, but as soon as I opened the app I was presented to enter a password for an account that wasn't mine.

How do you know that the account is not yours? Do you see something in the Master Password entry screen that makes you think this?

What puzzles me even more is that when I downloaded the app from the site, it worked really well.

If you download the app from our website now, are you able to unlock it?

• m1mbp
    m1mbp
    Community Member
    Options

My master password did not work when I put it in. Then a weird hint showed up, but I didn't set a hint in the first place. Yes, it works when I download it from your site.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@m1mbp:

It sounds like you created a separate vault in your Mac App Store version of 1Password, which you subsequently stopped using when you started using the app from our website. We can help you confirm this though, so to do this I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

This discussion has been closed.