Suggested Password problem

Options

When a website doesn't play nice with 1Password, it becomes very confusing to use the suggested Password feature.
Specific example: I tried to registering on mattermost.com
The suggested password 'pop-up' appears, but doesn't manage to fill in the passw in the field. Ok, no problem, I will copy & paste it manually.
1Pass offers to save it - which is great.
https://i.imgur.com/HCDyBor.png
But the website's password field is still empty.
So now the problem starts:
I can't see what passw has been filled in, as the 1Pass icon covers the "eye" icon allowing me to see what got pasted.
Again 1Pass 'pop-up' is asking to "use suggested password"
Which one is it using - oh, it seems that is now a new password suggestion.
This makes me go round & round, each time I worry that I have used & save the "old password" from the previous suggestion.
In the end I opened Notepad to see what was on my clipboard.

My suggestion would be to either:

• allow me to see the eye icon
  • add another button in the 'pop-up' allowing me to copy the suggested Passw, so I know what I'm saving

many thanks
Jen

1Password Version: 7.6.793
Extension Version: 1.23.1
OS Version: Win 10 Home
Sync Type: ?

Comments

• Hey Jen. Thank you for the feedback and suggestions for how we can do better moving forward. For this particular site, I've also filed an issue internally so we can look into fixing this up. The "Save in 1Password" button is to save whatever has been entered into the field. So if you copy and pasted the password, then that would be what gets saved. In terms of knowing exactly what you're copying / copying the suggested password, in an instance like this, you could use the full password generator (which, incidentally, actually fills properly on this site, unlike the inline suggestion). This is accessed from the pop-up (click the 1Password icon in your toolbar) by clicking the + button and then choosing Password Generator.

ref: dev/core/core#6262

• jenbrannstrom
    jenbrannstrom
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, I wasn't aware of the full generator.
    Appreciate it :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Michael, you are welcome @jenbrannstrom! If you have any other questions or suggestions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• weemantam
    weemantam
    Community Member
    Options

Ive recently moved from Lastpass to 1password. Mostly because I think the interface is better. That said, the Suggested Password feature is either counter intiuitive or simply not working for me (much as described here by Jen). I get the suggested password popping up but nothing happens when I click on it. If I'm honest I only have occassion to use this feature (what with having last pass for a couple of years previously). But the two instances I have tried using it, it does the same thing - which is to say nothing. I can easily copy paste and manually create the entry in the vault but this does seem like a critical feature of 1Pwd which simply does not work. I'm using latest Firefox in this scenario. Any ideas?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@weemantam:

Are you able to share the URLs to these websites, so we can test them here too?

• weemantam
    weemantam
    Community Member
    Options

I cant recall the previous one but tody's one was me attempting to create an account at argos.co.uk. If I'm honest I doubt the problem is page specific. I've just tried 'Just Eat' and 'Walmart' and they both have the same problem. is what I get but if I click or drag the any element of the suggested password, nothing happens.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@weemantam:

Thank you! I have tested the website right now, and you should be getting a popup from 1Password asking you if you would like to save this new Login item:

I have tested this on the latest version of Firefox (88.0.1). What version of the 1Password extension are you using? For reference, I tested with 1.24.2.

• weemantam
    weemantam
    Community Member
    Options

desktop version 7.6.801 Plugin version 1.24.2 as well.

• weemantam
    weemantam
    Community Member
    Options

Turned all add-in's off (except 1Password obviously) rebooted but still encounter no effect. Incidentally I'm using Firefox 88.0.1 (64bit). Ive done a recording in .webm format if theres a way to share, but all it really shows is the double circle logo in the pasword box, I click on it and the small pop up appears solely with "use suggested password" and a generated password below. I click on it and nothing happens. Clickety click, drageddy drag, hulky smash, nothing.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@weemantam:

Do you see the same behavior in a brand new Firefox profile with just the 1Password extension installed?

• weemantam
    weemantam
    Community Member
    Options

Success! I did a Firefox refresh install, re-installed 1password and it worked first time. Now i just need to install the original add-ons and see where it fails. Many thanks for your help ag_ana!

• @weemantam

On behalf of Ana, you are most welcome! We're here if you need additional help. :)

This discussion has been closed.