1Password 7.7.805 Beta for Windows is out with the new Archive support (Available now as stable)

MikeT
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi folks!

As you may not have known, we've released our first Linux version of 1Password yesterday and it came with the new Archive feature, which is now available in today's beta update for our Windows version.

We've also implemented support for our browser integration to now let you edit/view items directly from 1Password in the browser to the desktop app.

Open and Fill from the desktop app to 1Password in the browser is not yet available but it is something we're working on for the next beta update or two.

Changelog

7.7.805 Beta released on 05/25/2021

[IMPROVED] Updated our translations with the latest from our incredible translators on Crowdin.
[IMPROVED] After deleting an item, the next item below it will be selected instead of the first item at the top. {OPW-5016}

7.6.803 Beta released on 05/20/2021

[IMPROVED] Open and Fill support has been added to the browser integration support with 1Password in your browser. {OPW-4993}
[IMPROVED] Deleted items will be removed from the item list much quicker. {OPW-5017}

7.6.802 Beta released on 05/19/2021

[NEW] Added the Archive, a place to keep inactive items without having them suggested for filling or search results. {OPW-4998}
[NEW] Added the Delete action to items, allowing direct deletion without needing to go to the Archive first. {OPW-4998}
[IMPROVED] Our browser integration with 1Password in the browser now supports viewing and editing items in the desktop app. {OPW-5007}
[FIXED] A few customers reported seeing an intermittent Unknown hard error from Windows or .NET framework, we believe this should be fixed now. {OPW-4897}

PS: You may be wondering why I've mentioned the Linux version here; you may want to check out Dave's medium post here if you want to learn the technical details and the future of 1Password.

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

Don't get me wrong, but isn't the Archive just simply the Trash folder, renamed to Archive? It even contains the items that were in the trash previously, and it also still contains the option to restore an archived item, and trashed items were previously also not suggested for autofill and also not in search results.

The real new feature is the direct delete option, which I missed very much just 4 weeks ago when I started using 1Password and had to deal with ~180 duplicate items that came from 2 imports, one from my old password manager and one from Chrome, which had that many overlapping items. On the other hand, the deleted items are still in the trash (ok, now archive), where they did no harm and were still available in case I deleted one too much. I assume this is actually the expected workflow with items to trash, so I propose you change the changelog and explain the reasoning behind the renaming.

• MikeT
    edited May 2021

Hi @Tertius,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

....but isn't the Archive just simply the Trash folder, renamed to Archive?

The intent is to greatly separate the difference between archiving and deleting items; leaving the trash as is would be confusing because deleting and trashing is often the same thing. To put it another way, the way people use Trash before is actually what archive is. There were confusion in the past about why it isn't emptied in time or why emptying trash doesn't remove it fully from the account.

In addition, we can't simply "delete" everyone's data by moving it to the new Trash, especially since it is not going to be easy to recover deleted items and in time, it may be purged.

Your deleted items will show up in Recently Deleted list that's now available on the web app like so:

From there, you can permanently delete items. This is technically the new "Trash".

There are plans to bring this into the app as well. It is just going to take a bit of time to roll this out to everyone to make sure everything goes smoothly, we can't rush this through.

so I propose you change the changelog and explain the reasoning behind the renaming.

We'll take that in consideration for sure, we're trying to reduce the confusion and will clarify it more.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Thanks, @MikeT, for the latest release and for taking the fix for the "Unknown hard error" into the beta release! I'll keep an eye on this issue and will come back to you as soon as I get this error again. :)

Btw, I know that this is an issue with beta releases, but there are no German translations for "Archive" and "Delete". ;)

Archive --> Archiv

Archive --> Archivieren
    Delete --> Löschen

• Hi @DenalB,

On behalf of the team, you're welcome.

I'll keep an eye on this issue and will come back to you as soon as I get this error again. :)

🤞 Finger crossed that it is fixed. As mentioned before, it is a very odd one.

Btw, I know that this is an issue with beta releases, but there are no German translations for "Archive" and "Delete". ;)

Thanks for letting us know. Translations are being done as we speak, we anticipate it'll be ready in the next few beta updates but it may take longer due to the upcoming holidays.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Enjoy your holidays! :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you very much :)

• HinghamHarborMan
    HinghamHarborMan
    Community Member

Small Annoyance (for me), when using the Archive feature, after archiving the item, it bumps to the next item (Works Great! Exactly what I want), but when using the Delete feature, it deletes the item then moves me back up to the top of all items. I have ~500 items, so having to then scroll back down to find my spot is bothersome.

Any chance of getting delete to function the same as Archive, in moving to the next item?

• MikeT
    edited May 2021

Hi @jcsully217,

Thanks for reporting that, that's a bug. We'll get that fixed as soon as possible.

ref: dev/windows/opw#5016

• Authority
    Authority
    Community Member

I was just thinking the other day that I wish 1PW had an archive feature for logins that I don't want to delete but don't want to appear in searches and suggestions. It's like you read my mind. Thank you.

I do wish that the items moved from "Trash" to "Archive" automatically were tagged somehow because I started archiving things right away and now I have a bunch of things in archive that I had previously "deleted" that I don't want in my archive. I have to go find those and (actually) delete them again now.

Also noticing what I think is a bug with the Archive. If I am viewing the Archive and switch vaults, Archive is still selected/highlighted in the left sidebar, but the entries shown are not from the Archive.

Was also excited to read about this improvement:
    "Our browser integration with 1Password in the browser now supports viewing and editing items in the desktop app. {OPW-5007}"

Except it doesn't seem to work. When I click edit in the browser extension window, I am still directed to 1PW website for making the edits. Is that in a yet-to-be-released beta version of the Chrome extension?

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @Authority !

Except it doesn't seem to work.

Are you using the latest beta release of 1Password in the browser? If not you have to switch to the beta release.

In my case editing works as expected. If I chose an item in the extension and select "Edit" right in time the Windows desktop app is opening, and the item is in edit mode.

• Authority
    Authority
    Community Member

Hey @DenalB !
    Yes, I am using the "1Password Beta – Password Manager" Chrome extension, version 1.25.7

I notice that the release notes for this version do not mention matching functionality like I would expect.

• Hi @Authority,

When I click edit in the browser extension window, I am still directed to 1PW website for making the edits. Is that in a yet-to-be-released beta version of the Chrome extension?

I'm not able to reproduce this either and your extension version looks to be correct.

A few questions:

1. Which version of Chrome are you using?
    2. Is the app and the extension sharing its lock status correctly for you?

Also noticing what I think is a bug with the Archive. If I am viewing the Archive and switch vaults, Archive is still selected/highlighted in the left sidebar, but the entries shown are not from the Archive.

I'll take a look and see what's going on there. It might be missing a refresh call during one of the operations.

• Hey folks,

We've just shipped another beta update, this time adding support for Open and Fill to the new browser integration support. Let us know how it works out for you.

Note: if no browser extension is connected, 1Password will open the site in your default browser.

Also, this removes the beta-only support for the new browser integration, meaning the next stable version will work with 1Password in the browser.

Changelog:

[IMPROVED] Open and Fill support has been added to the browser integration support with 1Password in your browser. {OPW-4993}
    [IMPROVED] Deleted items will be removed from the item list much quicker. {OPW-5017}

• Authority
    Authority
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT , with 1Password for Windows version 7.6.803, using Edit in the browser extension works as expected.

In case you're still interested, I am using Chrome "Version 91.0.4472.38 (Official Build) beta (64-bit)" although it is nagging me to relaunch to update.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited May 2021

Good to hear @Authority that the new beta release works as expected for you! :+1:

Thanks again @MikeT for the new beta release! ;)

We've just shipped another beta update, this time adding support for Open and Fill to the new browser integration support. Let us know how it works out for you.

It looks like it works great for me. :+1:

• Thanks, folks! I'm glad to hear it is working better now.

• MikeT
    edited May 2021

Hi folks,

One final last beta update (7.7.805) to update our translations and make a quick fix to the deleting flow, so that it'll select the next item below it after deleting items.

[IMPROVED] Updated our translations with the latest from our incredible translators on Crowdin.
    [IMPROVED] After deleting an item, the next item below it will be selected instead of the first item at the top. {OPW-5016}

We also bumped the version to 7.7 due to the new stable support for our new browser integration and the new archive feature.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hey @MikeT !

Thanks again for the update!

Isn't it possible to get this update via auto update? For me there is no update available...

• Hi @DenalB,

Please try again, it should work now.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited May 2021

Yes! Thanks a lot @MikeT ! :+1:

Looks good now in the German version. :)

• Thanks for letting us know. Enjoy! 😊

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Is there any difference between the latest beta build 805 and the latest final release 805? Should I switch to the latest final release to get all the features and bugfixes? Or are both builds the same?

• MikeT
    edited May 2021

Hi @DenalB,

It's the same build, we just make a copy and placed it on the stable channel.

We always try to make sure beta channel is up to date with the same stable builds, we wouldn't leave you behind without bug fixes.

There are occasions where that may not be the case because we include string changes or accessibility improvements that goes straight into the stable build but can wait for the next beta update.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Thanks again @MikeT ! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.