Unable to make 1password classic extension work

Gratz
Gratz
Community Member

Hi

I'm under Chrome, Kubuntu based (20.04). I've installed the brand new 1password app on the OS and as I did under my Windows machine, put the "1password classic extension" in my Chrome.

But I can't make it work :

I've tried many things such as rebooting my laptop, removing the extension and reinstall it, same for the .deb file, and here I am, asking for some support :)

Thanks for your help !

1Password Version: 8.0.34
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Kubuntu 20.04
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey there @Gratz,

Thanks so much for writing in, and for trying out our new Linux app! To go along with the new 1Password experience on Linux, browser integration relies on our modern browser extension, 1Password in your browser. To get things up and running, download 1Password in your browser from the link below, and browser integration should start up right away - once you're all set up, I would suggest removing the Classic extension from the browser on your Kubuntu machine.

Download 1Password in your browser

Thanks @Gratz, let me know how it goes! :smile:

• Gratz
    Gratz
    Community Member

Oh ok, so it doesn't work like my Windows machine. That's very cool for my linux laptop, do you know when the same will be available for windows ?

• @Gratz

The integration for Windows is currently in beta. You can read more and find out how to get the beta version, here:

A better way to unlock πŸ”“

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Gratz
    Gratz
    Community Member

Thanks for your help :+1:

• You're very welcome. :+1: :)

Ben

• malcolmredheron
    malcolmredheron
    Community Member

I am using https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-–-password-mana/aeblfdkhhhdcdjpifhhbdiojplfjncoa in Chrome on Linux. I think that it's the correct one but it behaves like 1Password X. That is, it seems entirely browser based with no integration with the desktop linux app that I can observe. For example, it has to be unlocked separately from the app and when I try to edit an item in the extension it opens a tab in the browser instead of opening the desktop app. How do I get the integration described in the blog post?

• @malcolmredheron I am sorry for the confusion!

The beta version should have the integration available now:
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-beta-–-password/khgocmkkpikpnmmkgmdnfckapcdkgfaf

We hope to get the official release out soon as well.

• malcolmredheron
    malcolmredheron
    Community Member

Thanks, @roustem ! I'm now using the beta version (1.25.7) and I can't spot any different. It still got me to enter my master password, takes me to the web to edit, and doesn't synchronize lock state. What else can I try?

• @malcolmredheron it certainly could be a bit finicky at times and this is the main reason we still keep it in beta. I assume you have the browser integration enabled already in 1Password preferences?

Restarting both 1Password and the browser might help.

Once I had to restart my laptop just to make sure all the processes are updated, there was an older version of the helper that somehow got in the way.

• malcolmredheron
    malcolmredheron
    Community Member

@roustem I have restarted the computer but nothing has changed.

In case it helps, here are the 1password processes that I have when I close the window (presumably leaving behind the helper processes):

malcolm@x1:~$ ps auxww | grep 1password
    malcolm     4947 17.0  1.1 4989120 188860 ?      Sl   11:34   0:10 /snap/1password/44/app/1password --no-sandbox
    malcolm     5009  0.5  0.3 388404 49964 ?        S    11:34   0:00 /snap/1password/44/app/1password --type=zygote --no-zygote-sandbox --no-sandbox
    malcolm     5010  0.3  0.3 388404 50348 ?        S    11:34   0:00 /snap/1password/44/app/1password --type=zygote --no-sandbox
    malcolm     5032  7.6  0.6 568412 97056 ?        Sl   11:35   0:04 /snap/1password/44/app/1password --type=gpu-process --field-trial-handle=4194961095247401588,596022781119584497,131072 --enable-features=WebComponentsV0Enabled --disable-features=CertVerifierService,CookiesWithoutSameSiteMustBeSecure,SameSiteByDefaultCookies,SpareRendererForSitePerProcess --no-sandbox --gpu-preferences=UAAAAAAAAAAgAAAQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABgAAAAAAAwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAgAAAAAAAAACAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIAAAAAAAAAAgAAAAAAAAACAAAAAAAAAA= --shared-files
    malcolm     5072  0.8  0.4 455120 67432 ?        Sl   11:35   0:00 /snap/1password/44/app/1password --type=utility --utility-sub-type=network.mojom.NetworkService --field-trial-handle=4194961095247401588,596022781119584497,131072 --enable-features=WebComponentsV0Enabled --disable-features=CertVerifierService,CookiesWithoutSameSiteMustBeSecure,SameSiteByDefaultCookies,SpareRendererForSitePerProcess --lang=en-US --service-sandbox-type=network --no-sandbox --standard-schemes=resource --secure-schemes --bypasscsp-schemes=resource --cors-schemes --fetch-schemes=resource --service-worker-schemes --streaming-schemes --shared-files=v8_context_snapshot_data:100
    malcolm     5331  0.0  0.0   9040  2648 pts/0    S+   11:36   0:00 grep --color=auto 1password

And a little more:

malcolm@x1:~$ which 1password
    /snap/bin/1password
    malcolm@x1:~$ 1password --version

• Thank you, @malcolmredheron !

I don't have enough knowledge about snap packages. There is a note about a few limitations in our docs, not sure if it applies in your case:
    https://support.1password.com/install-linux/#snap-store

• malcolmredheron
    malcolmredheron
    Community Member

Thanks, @roustem ! I'd missed that. (It's documented at https://support.1password.com/install-linux/, BTW.) After removing the snap version, installing the apt version and disabling and reenabling the browser extension, everything is working. (Perhaps it's useful to you to know that I didn't have to restart the computer or the browser in this case.)

• πŸŽ‰

This discussion has been closed.