1password Membership Backup

Options

Hi.
I have Membership Account. I have read on your web-site that you have automatically back up all the vaults and items every day. Nevertheless you have an option to locally back up standalone vaults.
How can I personally and locally back up all my vaults and items. I use app for windows, but didn't find back up option (only in settings, but there is no back up button).
Both in Desktop App and Web version there is only import option, no export.
Found how export from APP in 1pif
I found few topics relating to 1Password backup for Mac. But there are Mac oriented.
Any other options?

1Password Version: 7.6.801
Extension Version: 1054
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password membership backup

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@InnaKudina There is no backup function and I haven't found a way to sync a standalone database. However, you can export all items from the desktop app in a number of file formats. I wanted to avoid 1Password specific file formats as a backup only really becomes useful in the unlikely event that 1Password ceases to exist. So I export to CSV and then import this into Keepass which I use for archiving.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

I don't see a point in explicitly making additional local backups. There are already at least 2 copies of your vaults: locally on your PC and on the 1Password server. If one of both vanishes, you have the other. If you care for backups, you are running some backup app on your PC, which will also backup the locally sync'd vaults, so you don't need to arrange an additional backup.

In the unlikely event 1Password ceases to exist without warning, you have your locally sync'd vaults. To get your data out of 1Password now, you open the 1Password desktop app, select all vaults, choose the "all objects" category, click on the first item, press CTRL-A to select everything->right-click->Export...

No need to prepare too much before the disaster, since such a copy is soon obsolete due to you constantly updating your accounts. Works without internet connection, so will work even if every network service of 1Password has suddenly become unavailable. I tested that as part of my personal "disaster recovery" strategy, and it actually works this way.

• InnaKudina
    InnaKudina
    Community Member
    Options

@Tertius3, thank you.
    As I understood the only option is to make export from time to time?
    Yes, it is all for unlikely event 1Password will stop to exist. Or something happens with their servers at once.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@Tertius3 I agree that this is to cover an unlikely eventuality, so doesn't need to be a regular routine. However, its not inconceivable that a sync problem would wipe all sync'd copies. So its worth doing on an annual basis or at least as a one-off disaster recovery trial, as you have done.

Out of interest, do you know where 1Password normally stores its databases. I'm using Windows and I can see an SQLITE database in C:\Users\missingbits\AppData\Local\1Password\data. Is this the database used by the desktop app?

@InnaKudina Yes, I export my 1Password database once or twice per year just to cover this extreme case.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

@missingbits I'm sorry, but I'm unable to tell if that database is the local vault cache or something else. I assume it is, but I'm not sure.

• Blake
    Options

Howdy @InnaKudina 🤠

While everyone here did pretty well at explaining how 1Password Memberships and backups work, I'd like to leave this forum thread linked below -- it's a pretty great overview of how backups are handled when it comes to folks with memberships, and well worth the read!

https://1password.community/discussion/76294/offline-copy-cache-of-1password-com-account-data

As for where 1Password stores it's database, I can confirm that the SQLite database found in C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\1Password\data is indeed where 1Password stores data.

That said, we do not recommend backing up this file and using it as a viable backup -- whenever updates to 1Password are made, or other database schema changes are made, 1Password will be unable to read this database unless without jumping through quite a few conversion hoops among other things to get it back into a useable state.

This discussion has been closed.