Browser Extension Requires Password When Desktop App Unlocked

jbhardman
jbhardman
Community Member
edited May 2021 in Linux

This is a mix of Linux and Browser extension question. Not sure which forum to put it.

On Arch Linux, and I have the new native Linux client working without issue. I have the tray icon showing it's unlocked.

But when I open my Chrome browser, the extension also requires me to unlock it. I have to enter the password everytime I close then re-open my browser. Even though the App is open and unlocked the whole time.

Where do I start looking?

Extension Version: 1.25.7
Desktop Version: 8.0.34-1

1Password Version: 8.0.34-1
Extension Version: 1.25.7
OS Version: Arch Linux
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Blake
    edited June 2021

Hi @jbhardman 👋

Could you confirm that browser integration is still enabled in the desktop app? To check, click your account name in the top-left corner of the 1Password for Linux, then click Settings, and switch to the Browser tab. We'll want to ensure that Connect with 1Password in your browser is enabled.

If everything looks good there, could you please zip up your logs folder, and attach it in an email to support+linux@1password.com for me? You can find that folder at .config/1Password/logs

• jbhardman
    jbhardman
    Community Member

I don't even have that option.

• jbhardman
    jbhardman
    Community Member

@Blake Any ideas?

• Blake
    edited June 2021

Apologies for the delayed reply @jbhardman 😞

Could you double-check and let me know version of 1Password in your browser you currently have installed? The latest version should be 2.0.2.

If you're not on 2.0.2, make sure you can access your data via 1Password.com, then uninstall the current extension and reinstall using the link I've left below.

https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/

• jbhardman
    jbhardman
    Community Member

Yep, 2.0.2. Still requires login separate to browser plugin vs desktop app.

• roustem
    edited June 2021

I think the setting is in the "Browser" section, @Blake:

• Yikes. How embarrassing… — thanks for correcting me, though!

Can you take another look here @jbhardman?

• jbhardman
    jbhardman
    Community Member

Yep, it's there and selected. Still requires password in browser every time.

• jbhardman
    jbhardman
    Community Member

I don't know if there are certain dependencies? I run a pretty minimal Arch with bspwm and just what I need running. Perhaps there are other services that I need that I don't have since it's not a traditional Gnome or KDE env?

• Hi, @jbhardman . There may be some useful information in the log files, which you will find in ~/.config/1Password/logs. We also have subdirectories for BrowserSupport and the KeyringHelper.

The most important thing to check is the permissions on 1Password-KeyringHelper. That file needs to be setuid, and it must be owned by root and part of the onepassword group. Without that, the keyring helper won't be able to save necessary encryption keys in the secure kernel keyring.

• jbhardman
    jbhardman
    Community Member

I think it's all correct. This is the file at /opt/1Password/1Password-KeyringHelper:

-rwsr-sr-x 1 root onepassword 3.4M May 18 12:31 1Password-KeyringHelper

The logs don't show anything other than normal INFO messages. The only thing that stands out is that the log in the KeyringHelper folder hasn't been written to since May 20th and today is June 4th. It just says:

initalizing keyring helper

• basurerito
    basurerito
    Community Member

@jbhardman is it actually "Google Chrome" you are using or some Chrome-based browser like Vivaldi or even Chromium?
    If so, you might want to have a look at #598980 ..

I had a similar issue with Manjaro + Vivaldi ..

• jbhardman
    jbhardman
    Community Member

That link isn't working, but yes, I am using Brave. It's chromium based and I installed the extension from the Chrome store...

• @jbhardman Hmm, Brave should be working fine - to get a better look at things let's continue this conversation over email. Could you send me an email at support+linux@1password.com?

When you email in, could you include a zipped copy of your logs folder? You can find it at ~/.config/1Password/logs.

After you email in, you should receive a Conversation ID that looks like this: [#ABC-12345-678]. Please paste that here, and I'll use it to track your email down from my end.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to getting this sorted for you! :smile:

• jbhardman
    jbhardman
    Community Member

[#TAY-52239-154]

• basurerito
    basurerito
    Community Member

@jbhardman .. sorry for the non-functional link, this here helped me to male vivaldi as intented ..
    https://1password.community/discussion/comment/598980#Comment_598980

• Thanks for sharing what got things up and running for you @baseurito! :smile:

ref: #TAY-52239-154

• jbhardman
    jbhardman
    Community Member

I followed those instructions with no luck. I tried in the browser file:
    brave
    brave-browser
    brave-beta
    brave-browser-beta
    brave-bin

All are things I see as potentials on my system (I use the beta build) but not working still.

• jbhardman
    jbhardman
    Community Member

I solved it!
    I am using the beta browser. I found that in:
    .config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/NativeMessagingHosts
    There is a file called:
    com.1password.1password.json

Well, all of my stuff is in a folder called "Brave-Browser-Beta". I copied that 1password file into the NativeMessagingHosts over in the beta directory, and boom. Unlocked with desktop client is working.
    @Dayton_ag

• That's great @jbhardman, I'm glad to hear this is working for you! To confirm then, are you using the beta version of Brave on your device?

• jbhardman
    jbhardman
    Community Member

Yes I am using Brave Beta. The 1password app installed a bunch of files in my ".config" directory that looks like it was trying to just get all potential browsers, because it created a folder for browsers I don't even have installed. But, it did not do a Brave Beta folder.

• @jbhardman Excellent, thanks for the info! Yes, 1Password writes the necessary files for all supported browsers, but I don't believe we do this for the beta versions, so they need to be configured manually. Glad it's working for you! :smile:

This discussion has been closed.