"New Login" (command S) in browser extension or menu bar doesn't work - the windows just closes.

Options
EssentialSalmon
EssentialSalmon
Community Member

Hi,

Not sure if this is the expected behaviour or not. If I click on New Login in either the Safari extension or the macOS menu bar icon nothing happens and the window closes so I can't add new logins without using the app. Generate and save works and then I can convert to login so it is possible to create entries that way.

If anyone has experienced this is there a fix (or is this a feature)?

1Password Version: 7.8.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @EssentialSalmon!

When you click on New Login, you should see a little window like this one popping up:

Does this not come up for you?

• EssentialSalmon
    EssentialSalmon
    Community Member
    edited May 2021
    Options

Hi @ag_ana thanks for that. No actually I don't get that, when I click on New Login, the whole 1p window just closes and it closes abruptly without animation so it feels like it crashes or quits. I was just checking if it was meant to do anything before I try and troubleshoot it. Now I know ;)

Not sure what to troubleshoot though, I've just installed for the first time v7.8.3, updated to v7.8.4 and did the quit completely thing. I guess I can turn on a debug mode and check the logs?

Sorry my OS is 11.4 Safari 14.1.1

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@EssentialSalmon:

Before checking the logs, do you mind just rebooting once? It would not be the first time where I see weird behavior fixed by just a reboot :)

• EssentialSalmon
    EssentialSalmon
    Community Member
    Options

Good idea @ag_ana but no luck; same behaviour after a reboot.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@EssentialSalmon:

Perhaps I see now what is happening. When you click on the New Login entry in that menu, are you actually on a login page in a website, with your credentials filled in? Because I have just one some tests and I managed to reproduce this behavior in Safari, when I am not on a login form.

• EssentialSalmon
    EssentialSalmon
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana Aha! The window quits if I'm logged in already, or on a blank page in Safari, but when at a login page it works! Wow I think we're closing in on this one already!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@EssentialSalmon:

Thank you for the confirmation! I think we have found the reason then :) The New Login button there only works to save credentials that are present on a login form already, inside the browser. If there are no credentials, the window will quit since there is nothing to save.

I understand the confusion with the name however: if you want to create a new Login item from scratch, you can do so from within the main 1Password for Mac app, not from the extension itself.

• EssentialSalmon
    EssentialSalmon
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for helping me get to the bottom of that.

I do find the behaviour a bit confusing but that's probably because I'm coming from Lastpass and now Bitwarden which let you add arbitrary entries of any type in the browser extension so it's muscle memory for me to do it that way at this point. It works fine using the app so will start retraining my brain lol.

Thanks again @ag_ana

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@EssentialSalmon:

I understand. I find that when you use the 1Password extension in the browser, it works better if you let the extension work in the background. So instead of entering information in the extension first, and then enter them on the page, to enter them on the page instead, and let 1Password popup prompting you to save them ;)

This discussion has been closed.