Vault Permissions & Account Independency

Options
LukenSkyne
LukenSkyne
Community Member

I am currently using 1Password Families together with 2 friends for almost one year and we are very happy with the broad feature-set of 1Pass. :)

Vault Permissions

Even though "Family" implies at least some level of "Trust", I'm still concerned it shouldn't be possible for a family organizer to add themselves to a vault they didn't have access to before. Family members don't necessarily know that this is possible and most likely would expect otherwise.

Scenario: Being an organizer in my 1Pass-Family, I can't see the Vault called "Very Secret Vault" when visiting 1Pass Home, which makes sense, since I don't have access to it.
If I were to make use of my elevated permissions, I could still visit the Vault Overview and edit the details of that specific vault, allowing me to manage the family members access to the vault- which includes allowing myself to see & edit the contents:

(Screenshot of the Vault Access Management)

In my opinion this is an issue, since it can't be fixed with upgrading to a Team license. In a 1Pass-Team license, the same permission model is used and we would always have one person with elevated permissions, either a Family Organizer or Team Admin.

Account Independency

For me, a related question comes up, which was raised by the following statement regarding family members accounts:

(Screenshot from support.1password.com/add-remove-family-members/)

If, in theory, I were to remove a family member from our 1Pass-Family, what would actually happen? Do they get the opportunity to restore their data into an Individual license, or is their data gone for good? Of course, this wouldn't be an issue if they exported their data before leaving the family themselves.

Do you think it's possible to submit these "issues" as feature requests? :p
Thanks in advance!
Keep up the great work, much love <3

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• LukenSkyne
    LukenSkyne
    Community Member
    Options

bump

• rudy
    Options

@LukenSkyne,

I've asked someone else on the team to tackle the questions you've raised in your post.

I can answer part of your questions as it behaves today. That is the series of questions under Account Independency. Currently if you remove a family member their account will be removed on both the server as well as any clients that are logged in or they subsequently unlock after the account has been removed from the family. I agree that it sounds like a much better experience if they can turn their account and private vault into a new individual account.

• Hey @LukenSkyne

I can see that you have opened a support ticket with us, and I am going to respond via email so that we are not discussing any account specifics in public. Please be on the lookout for an email from 1Password Support and I look forward to helping you out! :)

• LukenSkyne
    LukenSkyne
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy
    thanks for your response, I would love to get some detail on why this issue has been acknowledged in

I agree that it sounds like a much better experience if they can turn their account and private vault into a new individual account

Absolutely!

@joshua_1p

I am going to respond via email so that we are not discussing any account specifics in public

I actually wrote an email for this because I've seen /u/AgileBitsCS-Henry respond to these and similar issues on reddit in the past and wanted to know more about the current status, so this is no account specific problem.
    For good measure I also responded to your email.

My goal is to at least get these "issues" acknowledged again, since they have been around for quite some time.
    There is currently no "fix" to them without using multiple accounts which is very inconvenient in terms of user experience.

• Hey @LukenSkyne I hope you are doing well!

I totally understand. For now, let us continue our conversation via email and see if we can get some of your concerns sorted out. :)

This discussion has been closed.