Trash now is Archive

pbGuy
pbGuy
Community Member

With all the recent, new features in 1PW, it's an understatement saying "AgileBits has been very busy." Wow! 1PW keeps getting better. Compliments to all.

Question regarding transitioning Trash to Archive:
1PW web login additionally has a "View Recently Deleted" (VRD) button related to Archive. ...Will this VRD button eventually be implemented into macOS & iOS, 1PW versions?
(And, wouldn't it better to show VRD as "View Recently Moved" since "moved" has a different connotation than "deleted.")

I've used 1PW for such a l..o..n..g..t..i..m..e and my use of Trash (regardless why Items ended up there) always involved emptying Trash (since that's what one does with trash). ...I've now read it's recommended simply leaving Items in Archive (even though archived Items can be deleted). ...As result, Archive now has a different use compared to Trash. {I employ a secondary Vault where I move inactive Items I want accessible.} ...Given Archive's use change, what is AgileBits' recommending as Archive's main use strategy? ...Or maybe another way to ask, what was the reason AgileBits changed Trash to Archive?

1Password Version: macOS 7.8.4
Extension Version: 7.8.4
OS Version: 11.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hey @pbGuy :)

1PW web login additionally has a "View Recently Deleted" (VRD) button related to Archive. ...Will this VRD button eventually be implemented into macOS & iOS, 1PW versions?

We do have some ideas about this. In the near-term I expect we'll add a way to link to this section of the web app from the desktop apps.

(And, wouldn't it better to show VRD as "View Recently Moved" since "moved" has a different connotation than "deleted.")

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but these items have indeed been deleted, correct? View Recently Moved makes me think I could go there to see items I've recently moved from one vault to another. 🤔

Given Archive's use change, what is AgileBits' recommending as Archive's main use strategy?

I use a similar setup to what you've described. To move from that methodology to the new I'd recommend:

1. Move the items from your archive vault to your Personal vault
    2. Archive the items
    3. Delete the old archive vault (which should be completely empty)

To help facilitate this there is an optional step 0.5 which is to tag all of the items with something obvious (like "Archive") so they are easy to find once you move them into your Personal vault. You can speed up this process by tagging one of the items individually, so the tag exists and appears in the sidebar, and then selecting all of the items (Cmd+A) and dragging them to the tag in the sidebar.

It eliminates the 'hack' of having a user-created archive vault. Instead it is an integrated feature.

I've used 1PW for such a l..o..n..g..t..i..m..e and my use of Trash (regardless why Items ended up there) always involved emptying Trash (since that's what one does with trash). ...I've now read it's recommended simply leaving Items in Archive (even though archived Items can be deleted)

Hmm. For me personally I think this is going to be a 'time will tell' sort of thing in terms of how I approach items that I traditionally would've trashed. I suspect I'll just delete them, rather than archiving them, and only use the archive for things I would've previously moved to my archive vault.

With all the recent, new features in 1PW, it's an understatement saying "AgileBits has been very busy." Wow! 1PW keeps getting better. Compliments to all.

<3

Ben

• swanvestas
    swanvestas
    Community Member

Personally, Gmail turned me off to “Archive” functionality years ago. They make you choose between Archiving and Trashing.. When I delete something in 1Password, I prefer the old way that mimics the Apple Trash Bin: put something in the Trash and then empty the trash at some future date. Is there a way to change the identifier from Archive to Trash?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Not at the moment @swanvestas, but thank you for the suggestion!

This discussion has been closed.