1Password on Mac

Options
AlienBlue
AlienBlue
Community Member

I'm running a Mac under Big Sur and using Voiceover, With the app open on the Mac,I'm unable to access its menu on the menu bar. When I do not remember a shortcut. I head to the menu bar. Thanks if someone can enlighten me.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @AlienBlue!

When you say that you are "unable to access" the menu bar icon, can you please elaborate? Where are you getting stuck exactly?

• AlienBlue
    AlienBlue
    Community Member
    Options

Normally, when using Voiceover, one can use the Voiceover keys (Ctrl + Option) plus M to bring focus to the menu bar. This does not happen in 1Password. It will only bring focus to whatever other app is running.

• rudy
    Options

@AlienBlue,

When invoked that way, 1Password keeps the other application as the focused menubar so that it doesn't take you out of the application you're working in. If you need to access the menubar in 1Password you will want to choose "Open 1Password" from the gear button in the 1Password window, this will open the primary 1Password window which will also switch you to 1Password as the active application.

• AlienBlue
    AlienBlue
    Community Member
    Options

That makes no sense to be honest. If I open 1Password, I expect it to be the active application. If I need to switch to another app that is in the background, command-tab takes care of that.

Remember I am using Voiceover. There is no gar. There is 'open in separate window' but that did not give me access to the menu bar.

Surely there must be a better solution. I can run the mouse up to the menu bar and click somewhere then use the VO navigation commands but its not efficient.

• David1PSince2015
    David1PSince2015
    Community Member
    Options

Agree with AlienBlue. If we complaint about this functionality it mean other people don't send you warm emails thanking for such functionality. I'm long time 1p user and still can't understand why 1p team is so ignorent changing it.

• ag_tommy
    Options

@AlienBlue

It sounds as if you are accessing the mini/helper in the menu bar. If so, that does not open the main app or bring ant menu bar items to the front. It is an accessory portion that allows communication between the main application and the browsers. It sounds like you may be wishing to open the main app and interact with it.

• AlienBlue
    AlienBlue
    Community Member
    Options

Here is the setup. There is the mini in menu extras. I genereally do not go there.

I open the 1Password app from the Applications folder. I can navigate in it, look at items, all most actions I wish to do. I just cannot get to the menu bar with VO+m. Other than that, 1Password sure behaves like an active app.

• ag_tommy
    Options

@AlienBlue

Thanks for clarifying your usage.

If I enable VoiceOver and I have 1Password frontmost and then use the shortcut (Ctrl + Option) plus M, the focus is on the menu bar Apple icon. From there, I can move to the right one item and be in the 1Password item. I experience the same behavior in Chrome, Safari and System Preferences. It almost sounds as if something is stealing your shortcut when 1Password is frontmost. Which version of macOS are you using? In my test, I used Big Sur 11.4.

• AlienBlue
    AlienBlue
    Community Member
    Options

Not sure just what it was but I decided to install 1Password 7.84 on my beta installation. No issues.

So booted back in my primary installation, prepared to do a remove and reinstall. The 7.84 update was waiting so took care of that first. To my shock, VO+m now works! Did a rstart just to make certain. This has been a long runnign issue and its fixed just like that. Whew. :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update @AlienBlue, I am glad to hear that things are working as expected now :)

• AlienBlue
    AlienBlue
    Community Member
    Options

Problem came back. I booted into my beta and its fine there. Booted back to the main installation and checked 1Password, it was fine.

I'd like to run diagnostics next time and see if that offers a clue. May I have the email addrss I need to send it to? Thanks!

• ag_tommy
    Options

@AlienBlue

Sure thing. Please use support@1password.com

• AlienBlue
    AlienBlue
    Community Member
    Options

What is the best way to uninstall 1Password from the Mac? I think it would be a good plan to do this then do a fresh install. Thanks.

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2021
    Options

@AlienBlue

1. Quit all open web browsers, especially Safari.
    2. Use the following steps to quit 1Password completely. Open or bring 1Password to the front and press the following keys. Command + Option + Control + Q
    3. Right-click on 1Password in the Applications folder and select move to Trash. Do not use an "app cleaner" or "uninstaller" tool to remove the app or additional files. If prompted, enter the password you use to sign in to your Mac.
    4. Restart the Mac.
    5. Download the latest version of 1Password from the 1Password website.
    6. Quit any open web browsers and then install 1Password.
    7. Open and unlock 1Password before opening your web browser.
  • AlienBlue
    AlienBlue
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks very much. I will lwt the new installation cok for a week and see if the issue stays away. If it pops up again, will create a new diagnostic and send it in. Fingers crossed.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @AlienBlue.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.