Don't WANT Safari extension...

PauHana658
PauHana658
Community Member
edited May 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

1Password Safari extension pops up a window every time I fill in a password, wanting me to either update or create a new 1Password entry. That is annoying, so I tried to uninstall the extension. But I couldn't...I have to first delete the app. I couldn't do that, either, because the app is still running. I force-quit 1Password, but I still couldn't delete the app. I then went into Activity Monitor and force-quit all processes and extensions associated with 1Password. Finally, I could delete the 1Password app. I confirmed that the safari extension had also been uninstalled. But when I then re-installed the app from the package installer, the Safari extension reappeared! Aarrgghh!

How can I re-install the 1Password app but not the Safari extension?

_1Password Version: 7.8.4
_Extension Version: ???
_OS Version: Big Sur on M1 MacBook Pro
_Sync Type: iCloud?

Comments

• ondrejfuhrer
    ondrejfuhrer
    Community Member

Long story short, you can't, the extension is included in the app (and for safari it has to be). What you can do is to simply disable the extension (the checkbox next to the extension in the Safari preferences), which I would assume stops the "popups" from appearing.

Hope that helps.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @PauHana658 ,

Firstly, you can disable the inline menu in Safari so 1Password won't show up on its own inside/under fields by opening the desktop app, going to its preferences -> Browsers -> Disable the Safari inline menu features there.

Secondly, as ondrejfuhrer suggested above, you can disable the 1Password extension in Safari by going to Safari's preferences -> Extensions -> Disable the 1Password extension there by removing the check mark from it. Then, open the desktop app, go to its preferences -> Browsers -> Turn off the "Keep 1Password extension helper running" feature.

I hope that will provide you with a better experience as you require :)

This discussion has been closed.