Error when trying to run Get_Safari12_Passwords.applescript [Solved]

Marianne_DB
Marianne_DB
Community Member
edited May 2021 in Mac

Hello,
I've tried to run the script Get_Safari12_Passwords.applescript of the MRC Converter suite on Mac OS Catalina Version 10.15.7 and got following error message: "erreur dans system events il est impossible d'obtenir scroll area 1 of group 1 of group 1 of window" ???
Thanks in advance for your precious help!

Mac OS Catalina Version 10.15.7

Comments

• Marianne_DB
    Marianne_DB
    Community Member

Precision: I've about 40 Safari remaining passwords to enter in 1Password… Wouldn't it be easier to do it by my own?

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2021

@MrC

@Marianne_DB

I have mentioned MrC for assistance with this. If you like you can input those items yourself, if desired and if not MrC should be able to assist you soon.

• Marianne_DB
    Marianne_DB
    Community Member
    edited May 2021

Thanks a lot! If it's easier and faster to input those remaining items manually, I'll do it. If my problem with MrC is already known and solved or can be solved quickly, I would prefer to use MrC tool (all is a question of benefits/costs ;))

• Marianne_DB
    Marianne_DB
    Community Member
    edited May 2021

SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST!!! (I'm not an expert of forums LOL, can the moderator remove this second one please?)
    Thanks a lot! If it's easier and faster to input those remaining items manually, I'll do it. If my problem with MrC is already known and solved or can be solved quickly, I would prefer to use MrC tool (all is a question of benefits/costs ;)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Hi @Marianne_DB

I'm sorry for the delay.

That error is almost always caused by using the Mac while the converter is running. The script runs by directly interacting with Safari, and simulates what you would do to open your Safari passwords one at a time to copy each of the fields. If you interact with your Mac during that time, it interferes with the script.

It can also happen once there is trouble (e.g. from above). The remedy is to quit Script Editor, quit Safari, and restarting the script via Script Editor, letting it guide you through the process.

I presume you gave the script permissions to interact with Safari.

If you feel its faster for you to copy / paste your passwords, then by all means - do what is best for your needs. Sorry the process isn't easier. Apple has not provided a means to export iCloud Keychain passwords.

• Marianne_DB
    Marianne_DB
    Community Member

No delay at all: thanks for your prompt answer! I've just implemented the remedy you preconised: same problem, it occures just before the script asks for my session password in order to browse Safari passwords, I can't even enter my session password (indeed, I gave the script permissions to interact with Safari: I got a first error because it wasn't the case but I managed to overcome this one, LOL)
    I'm just discovering how the Apple world is closed concerning certain topics and I'm very angry about that 😤😠😡🤬🤯
    So what please???…

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2021

@Marianne_DB

it occures just before the script asks for my session password in order to browse Safari passwords

This doesn't make sense to me. The code that would produce the error message:

... scroll area 1 of group 1 of group 1 of window

can only occur after your macOS login password was entered into the Safari Passwords preferences dialog. I wonder if due to your system language being non-English, my code is not handling the state of that dialog being locked/unlocked.

There should be a log file on your Desktop named get_safari12_passwords.log. Can you share here the data from the last run in the script. The log is cumulative across all your runs of the script, so go to the end of the file and look up. It's just a text file. What I want is what's shown in the screenshot below. Please DO not share anything beyond what I highlight, as that will contain your confidential data. I'm interested in just the flow of the script.

• Marianne_DB
    Marianne_DB
    Community Member

0000: Log start: 23:02:59
    0008: Entering FetchEntries()
    0012: Opening Safari passwords dialog
    0013: passwords are now unlocked
    0014: Sampling password data...
    And nothing more! (All the runs are the sames)
    Passwords seem to be unlocked despite I didn't enter my session password 😲🤔
    I will try to ignore this message, enter my session password and see what happens…

• Marianne_DB
    Marianne_DB
    Community Member

New error:

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Marianne_DB

That won't work. I'm now more confident that its the difference in our languages that's causing the issue. I need to go check some properties of that dialog with a system using French.

• Marianne_DB
    Marianne_DB
    Community Member

Would you like me to set my langage to english?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Marianne_DB

That would be the quickest way to test. It will take me a little while to rework this part of the code to ensure it works for any non-English language. When I redesigned the code-flow earlier this month, I knew this might be an issue, and was going to come back to address it. Life events got in the way of me being able to spend much time on this.

So, sure, try English, and see if it then works. Thank you!

• Marianne_DB
    Marianne_DB
    Community Member

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Hmmm, did you restart your Mac after changing the language to English? Seems it is still in French.

@Marianne_DB

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Hmmm, did you restart your Mac after changing the language to English? Seems it is still in French.

@Marianne_DB

• Marianne_DB
    Marianne_DB
    Community Member

Indeed… I did it but my Mac absolutely doesn't want to speak french!!!

• Marianne_DB
    Marianne_DB
    Community Member

After I restart it the language is french again :((( I'm going to bed, see you later ;)
    I've found an intermediate solution to avoid to enter my passwords one by one :) but I can still contribute to test the script :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Marianne_DB

I'm so very for this taking up your time. I'll see if I can get to it this evening.

• Marianne_DB
    Marianne_DB
    Community Member

No matter: it's only ordinary computer science ;)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2021

@Marianne_DB

So true!

I've placed an updated version of Get_Safari12_Passwords.applescript in the Custom folder at the convert suite's download location for you to try. If you are still interested, please download and replace your copy, and see if it works better for you. It ran correctly for me when my system was set to either English or French (CA).

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Hi @Marianne_DB

Checking in with you to see if the export worked for you, or if there is anything more that you need.

Cheers!

• Marianne_DB
    Marianne_DB
    Community Member

Sorry I didn't see your previous message:( I can't try anymore because I exported my 40 remaining iCloud passwords thanks to a workaround (as I told you) and then… I unfortunately deleted all these passwords! So that I don't have anymore data for the test 😥 (I didn't realise that acting so would severely compromise my contribution to the test of your script!!! I was so happy to be over with the transition to 1Password that I wanted to erase any trace of another password manager 😂) I'm very sorry, I beg your pardon 🙏

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

No worries, @Marianne_DB

You helped me sort out issues I'd knew I had to address eventually. Thanks for your assistance.

Cheers, and Enjoy 1Password!

• Marianne_DB
    Marianne_DB
    Community Member

You're welcome 😉 Thanks a lot!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.