How to place a defined private item in a shared vault

PietBrenders
PietBrenders
Community Member

Good evening,

I was the first member of the family account and already defined several logins, documents etc in the private vault.

Now I want to share some defined items with my partner in another vault but I can't find how move an item to that vault.

Thanks for your help and information.

Friendly greetings Piet

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @PietBrenders

Start by selecting the item in 1Password and then right-click (control-click) and move the item to the shared vault. It's better to move it vs. copy it. That way, if it's ever changed, you both will have the most up to date information. If you copied it, either version could get updated, and one may continue to hold old information

Move items to a new vault.

• PietBrenders
    PietBrenders
    Community Member

Thnx Tommy, I wil trie it tomorrow.
    Greeting Piet

• You're welcome. If you have any questions let us know.

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

@ag_tommy, could you explain the difference between the shared vault that 1Password provides by default for a family account and an additional vault to which the FO has given each family member management (read/write) access? It seems to me the latter CAN provide the same functionality as the former but with the additional flexibility to restrict shared membership (say, to just the parents but not the kids). Also, I'm curious as to why the shared vault is deletable (I get this) but not restorable (I don't get this)?

• @williakz

The default shared vault is shared between all members of the family there are no sharing/permission options. We use this for keeping things like the WiFi password so that every family member has access.

Here is some of my setup.

1. Dad and child a.
    2. Dad and child b.
    3. Children. No access other than me. Items here are maintained for estate planning needs.
    4. Shared - Home. (members of the immediate household)
    5. Shared. (default share) for all family members, including extended family members.
    6. Private vault.
    7. Private - Archive. For logins, I no longer need ready access to. But I have yet to purge or close the account.
    8. On the Go - Vault for medical records, passports, vaccinations, photocopies of DL, identification cards, insurance, and passports. I use this when using Travel mode.

The default share is a special vault that has specific permissions when the account is created. As you noticed, it can't be restored. Once a vault is removed, it's no longer recoverable.

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

@ag_tommy, thanks for the explanation. I can see the logic behind your choices and how 1P's configurability supports your plan.

On my question about the default Shared vault, I worded it poorly. I didn't mean restorable (in the sense of recovering prior contents) but rather recreatable (is that a word?) with the property that all (including any future) family members are automatically granted read/write access to the Shared vault.

• @williakz

The default share is special in nature and can only be created at account creation. If you need to use the default shared, the best option I can offer would be to move to a different account. This would allow the special vault to be created.

If you have an established setup, I think I would continue to add members as needed. That would prevent having to sign in and out on apps, migrate data, and create new Emergency Kits, and so forth. There is a lot of moving parts. For myself, logging in and making a change to add the members seem much more effortless.

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

I agree manual mods by the FO to a standard vault to replicate the functionality of the deleted default Shared vault seems an easier route than than going through new account setup. I suppose my question is really why the default Shared vault creation routine couldn't be co-located (or even relocated) to the additional vault creation section of the 1Password.com code. Seems like all the info you'd need would be available there (FO, MP, SK, present/deleted status, active members, etc.).

• @williakz

I'll pass along your feedback to the rest of the team. Perhaps we can improve on this in the future.

• occamsrazor
    occamsrazor
    Community Member

@ag_tommy

Here is some of my setup.

This is really smart. Thank you for sharing it.

Children. No access other than me. Items here are maintained for estate planning needs.

If access is only for you, what is the difference compared to your private vault? Is it just for organization purposes to keep the essential estate-planning items in one place? And in the event of death is the intention that it would be accessed using your emergency kit?

Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@occamsrazor:

This is really smart. Thank you for sharing it.

On behalf of Tommy, you are welcome!

If access is only for you, what is the difference compared to your private vault? Is it just for organization purposes to keep the essential estate-planning items in one place? And in the event of death is the intention that it would be accessed using your emergency kit?

I will let Tommy answer the organizational part, but I confirm that access in an emergency would indeed be via the Emergency Kit :+1:

• @occamsrazor

Just one of those organizational things, I guess. I can go here (or they) and quickly find items without searching in an emergency. They all know it (vault) exists and how to get to it. I have no real secrets from my children. They know the combination to the floor safe and can access my Emergency Kit at a moment's notice should it come to that.

Mainly things here would be the will, burial rights, medical decrees, and so on. When I lost my wife a few years ago, my mind was in a mess, obviously. So I tried to think about my kids and how they tend to a bit scatterbrained at times. I set up the vault that would contain anything I thought they would need ready access to when the time comes and without them needing to search for it, but also keeps it private from any of the children until that time.

This discussion has been closed.